Retro Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 13, 2011
We are doing a retro uniform theme for the homecoming parade this year. This afternoon after school we were going through boxes of old old uniforms stashed in our school gym. Some are from the 80's. There are not enough for every girl to have the same uniform so we are all going to wear different ones. I'm deciding on either a tight sweater from i think 1991 (the kind that the USC songgirls wear) and an it's matching flyaway skirt...or sleeveless button down shell type of top and its matching standard pleat skirt. Its the same fabric as a normal shell but has a 4 button closure in the front, you wear it like a vest. The homecoming game is in october, i'm think things will cool off here by then but last year it was still hot out. The sweater is soo cute though. What do yall think?

As soon as I'm finished weeping that 1991 (my graduation year) is RETRO... I'll answer you.:(

.......OK. Pleated skirt. Nothing says retro like a vest :eek: and pleated skirt. And besides - no matter how cute the sweater, if it's hot out you will be miserable.

hahah im so sorry for the retro reference for 1991. The uniforms only went back to like 1988 or so...I was looking for the style my mom wore in 1987 but nothing in there.

good point on the sweater. I guess thats why you never see any sweaters worn in cheering anymore....I start getting hot even when wearing a sleeveless shell top in the fall, I couldn't imagine wear one of the big baggy sweaters from that time period.
:)

298948_279247382088436_100000095303629_1219740_565962028_n.jpg

i like the look of your flyaway...im a big fan of classic looking uniforms for schools, our uniforms now are like that...just a simple shell and an a-line with minimal striping, not an exciting style but to me it just fits our team look.

5678- good idea, i have to look at some of the pictures in old yearbooks to get the look going. Trying to find some decent Keds online now. I was also thinking of knee socks...they were worn by some of the squads in years past.

Random- but I heard somewhere on the board that a big team is bringing back the flyaway skirts... any conformation on that yet, anyone?

oh forget about the little pompoms...in the 80s we had the HUGE pompoms! I wish I still had mine to compare to my daughter's :)

it would be cool but none of past yearbook photos have any of the squads wearing those with ked shoes. Im def wearing knee socks...that just screams retro.

I think i'm going to to have to choose the sweater and flyaway skirt option. That vest i was describing is wayyyy too small, it would be like a cropped vest, which looks sorta cute on me but its too scandalous for wearing at a parade.lolz;)

I agree with MyDaughterCheers. Break out the saddle shoes!! And I personally love fly away pleasts i think they look so pretty in doubles. Like Bangkok

Siigh. We had sailor style uniforms in jr. High AND high school. We got new uniforms every year but that one was a staple. Uughh. We also had Nike shoes that looked like saddle oxfords. And Huuuuge pom poms that were impossible to actually do any cheers with.
Retro :' (

Back