Roundoff Drills?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 27, 2011
this is probably gonna make me seem so stupid for posting this, but it really poses a problem for me when i'm tumbling and it slows me down all the time when i'm throwing a tumbling pass. i can never seem to get my leg OVER during my roundoff, it seems to go around to the side more and it makes me go crooked and drives me and my instructor crazy..... my cartwheels are usually fine but when i go for a longer tumbling pass it just completely throws me off :oops:

are there any tips or drills to try and fix it? any help would be appreciated, thank you!

do you have a good front handspring? a roundoff IS actually a handspring.... you dont just get your legs together in a cartwheel and at the end stand up, you 'spring' off your hands to your feet.
I'm going to make a tutorial on this soon btw, but once you have a great front handspring your roundoff almost automatically gets better.
also video of what you are doing helps a lot...

unfortunately my front handspring isn't that great, so the next time i go to the gym i'll definitely try to work on that! i don't have a video unfortunately, but basically my legs go to the side rather than up and over in a straight line. it throws my whole tumbling pass off balance and makes me go crooked. i can still EXECUTE the pass but it looks sloppy.

thank you so much for your help though, i'll start working on my front handspring!

unfortunately my front handspring isn't that great, so the next time i go to the gym i'll definitely try to work on that! i don't have a video unfortunately, but basically my legs go to the side rather than up and over in a straight line. it throws my whole tumbling pass off balance and makes me go crooked. i can still EXECUTE the pass but it looks sloppy.

thank you so much for your help though, i'll start working on my front handspring!

Tumble in a "hallway." Set up an obstacle on the side your feet go to thats high enough that you'll hit if your feet come down. Once you stop hitting the obstacle your feet will be overhead

thank you so much, both of you! i've tried the 'hallway' before and it helped me for a while but then i got out of touch, or if i didn't keep drilling i'd begin to loosen up again. i'll definitely keep it in mind though and try it again, i really do appreciate it! i'll definitely give that website a read through as well :)

Without ever seeing the skill I would say your probably trying to turn your hips too early... Make sure you are AGGRESSIVELY driving your back heel off the floor, reach straight out in front of you and the only part of your body that needs to turn is your hands. Make sure to drive that heel, that's where the front handsprings will really help

Back