Roundoff Tuck

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 21, 2017
For this season I need my roundoff tuck. I keep whipping and arching my back because of back handspring habits. how do i not do so. No matter how much i tell myself not to do it, it just doesnt work. is there some sort of hack that forces you not to arch as much, if not at all?

Do you have a video? How is your RO BHS set or your RO set for tuck? The sets are different into a BHS and a Tuck, so if you are setting more for a BHS, you will be more likely to arch. For a basic drill, try doing a RO set up onto a high set of mats, landing on your back in a proper tuck position (a porta-pit with 1-2 crash mats on top height). What progressions have you been working on so far to work on your RO tuck?

Do you have a video? How is your RO BHS set or your RO set for tuck? The sets are different into a BHS and a Tuck, so if you are setting more for a BHS, you will be more likely to arch. For a basic drill, try doing a RO set up onto a high set of mats, landing on your back in a proper tuck position (a porta-pit with 1-2 crash mats on top height). What progressions have you been working on so far to work on your RO tuck?
my coach says my sets are fine. the problem is i dont know how to tuck. its a half pike half layout. once i know how to pull in my legs i think i wont be able to arch. i just dont know how the skill should feel and should look from my perspective, im a visual person

I wrote this out a long time ago. Since, my tumbling technique has gotten better.

The eagle: this is the position you want to set from, with a dip and a fast extension from the eagle to the set.

ru1cjrJ.jpg

The set: (this is what I call the "set" position the most important part of the tuck, hands down.) shoulders pulled slightly back with a full extension from the legs, note that there is no sit backwards, the legs stand straight up, toes are the last thing off the ground. Arms in a high touchdown.
pGCv3h4.jpg

The pull: while keeping the back straight, pull the hips and knees upward using your legs and core. Your shoulders should be at their highest here.

HhsiuIx.jpg

Start to pull the shoulders while maintaining a straight back. Pull with your arms and continue pulling with your knees and core. The hips should still be rising at this point.

WKuGR17.jpg

Your hips should now be at their highest point. Pull your shoulders up and continue to pull all the way until the landing.

fTyx8V9.jpg

Spot your landing and absorb with your knees.

IWLrv69.jpg

I wrote this out a long time ago. Since, my tumbling technique has gotten better.

The eagle: this is the position you want to set from, with a dip and a fast extension from the eagle to the set.

ru1cjrJ.jpg

The set: (this is what I call the "set" position the most important part of the tuck, hands down.) shoulders pulled slightly back with a full extension from the legs, note that there is no sit backwards, the legs stand straight up, toes are the last thing off the ground. Arms in a high touchdown.
pGCv3h4.jpg

The pull: while keeping the back straight, pull the hips and knees upward using your legs and core. Your shoulders should be at their highest here.

HhsiuIx.jpg

Start to pull the shoulders while maintaining a straight back. Pull with your arms and continue pulling with your knees and core. The hips should still be rising at this point.

WKuGR17.jpg

Your hips should now be at their highest point. Pull your shoulders up and continue to pull all the way until the landing.

fTyx8V9.jpg

Spot your landing and absorb with your knees.

IWLrv69.jpg
Are there any mental things i can do to keep my back straight

This is why our coaches say that you should learn ROBHS tuck before RO tuck. It is much easier to 'force" a tuck with poor technique out of a roundoff. It's the last level 3 skill they teach. I suggest learing the tuck out of a ROBHS first. You need to learn to adjust your landing, set vertically, and then pull. Our coaches tell the girls to think, rebound, set, pull in that order. If you are throwing your head back and arching, its highly likely that you are pulling to early, and not riding your set, or not snapping properly to set vertically. Both are much harder to fix our of a roundoff than out of a BHS.

Frankly, I don't see how your set could be fine if you are arching. You shouldn't arch in the set for a tuck.

This is why our coaches say that you should learn ROBHS tuck before RO tuck. It is much easier to 'force" a tuck with poor technique out of a roundoff. It's the last level 3 skill they teach. I suggest learing the tuck out of a ROBHS first. You need to learn to adjust your landing, set vertically, and then pull. Our coaches tell the girls to think, rebound, set, pull in that order. If you are throwing your head back and arching, its highly likely that you are pulling to early, and not riding your set, or not snapping properly to set vertically. Both are much harder to fix our of a roundoff than out of a BHS.

Frankly, I don't see how your set could be fine if you are arching. You shouldn't arch in the set for a tuck.
My round off is strong. I'm just so used to back handsprings that when i go to pull i arch. so i ride but then i do a literal whip instead of a tuck

My round off is strong. I'm just so used to back handsprings that when i go to pull i arch. so i ride but then i do a literal whip instead of a tuck
If you are arching, its going to stop you from pulling your knees properly. It sounds like you may still be snapping for a handspring, rather than for the tuck. You have to snap under yourself more for the tuck. If you snap under, you rebound goes almost straight up instead of up and back, like for a BHS. If you don't get that straight up position, or you are arching your back at all, its very difficult to pull. The best thing CP did to over come this was called the "clap drill." You do a ROBHS, snapping under yourself and trying to rebound as straight up and down as possible. Then try to clap over your head at the very top of your rebound out of the BHS, keeping back straight and head neutral. It helped her learn what a proper rebound for a tuck should feel like, and helped her figure out how to wait to pull her knees rather than arching right off the floor.

Last edited:
The best way is to understand that a tuck needs no arch. You don't have to "go backwards", to do a back tuck. Set position, pull knees up and over. Have someone you trust (i.e. tumbling instructor) do this with you. Round off, rebound into set position (your instructor will catch you), when your instructor tells you, tuck over the top. I have taught girls that exact way, and it's like someone flips a switch, and they have it, and the arch is lesser, or gone altogether. It's much easier to do it the right way.

The best way is to understand that a tuck needs no arch. You don't have to "go backwards", to do a back tuck. Set position, pull knees up and over. Have someone you trust (i.e. tumbling instructor) do this with you. Round off, rebound into set position (your instructor will catch you), when your instructor tells you, tuck over the top. I have taught girls that exact way, and it's like someone flips a switch, and they have it, and the arch is lesser, or gone altogether. It's much easier to do it the right way.
thank you, that helps

My daughter likes to spot on the set until she sees a certain spot on the wall and then she pulls her legs over, she doesn't grab at all.. she just reaches as high up until she gets where she needs and then rotates.

This is the only video I have of a round off tuck.. (there is a whip in this video but excuse that) these are the only round off tucks I have on video of her

3QIAvwjoIJ
Code:
https://instagram.com/p/3QIAvwjoIJ/

I can't be entirely certain without seeing a video of yours specifically, but it sounds like you might be throwing your head back? I know that for me personally, when I was making that transition from a RO BHS to the tuck, I would whip my head back (causing my back to arch), since i was used to the back handsprings. For me to fix mine, the first thing i worked on was my spot, i just made sure to focus on one spot on the wall, which forced my head to stay tucked in. Then when my head stayed tucked, it kept my whole body straight and prevented my back from arching. The second thing i did is i worked on my pop when coming out of the RO. I was just continually practicing popping straight up instead of back.
Not sure if this will help with your specific case, but i hope i helped some :)

I can't be entirely certain without seeing a video of yours specifically, but it sounds like you might be throwing your head back? I know that for me personally, when I was making that transition from a RO BHS to the tuck, I would whip my head back (causing my back to arch), since i was used to the back handsprings. For me to fix mine, the first thing i worked on was my spot, i just made sure to focus on one spot on the wall, which forced my head to stay tucked in. Then when my head stayed tucked, it kept my whole body straight and prevented my back from arching. The second thing i did is i worked on my pop when coming out of the RO. I was just continually practicing popping straight up instead of back.
Not sure if this will help with your specific case, but i hope i helped some :)
thx ill try that

I know this is old, but I can't wait to show my CP your post. She was working on her ROBHS tuck last night. Tuck is more like a whip. She begged her coach to let her do just a RO tuck because she was sure it would be so much easier. CP lost the argument because of exactly what you posted here.

I would recommend grabbing your shins. This will force you to pull them up and tuck. Also try thinking about pulling up through your toes. This will pull your toes/ feet towards your head, helping you tuck. Best of luck to anyone struggling with this issue!

Back