All-Star School Cheer Conflicting With All Star Practice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

my gym wouldnt allow it! and i would agree you cant just choose when to go to practice its not an option! you either do allstar or school cheer! if ones conflicting with the other choose which one is more important to you and go with that!

The rule was you have to miss school cheer at our gym.....but that is not the case I cant remember the last time we had practice when everybody had been there because oh so and so is at school cheer and then the next practice that girl would be there then there is another girl missing. When I was in middle school I was told by my gym that when I got to High School that I would have to pick between allstars and school cheer because it wouldnt be fair to the team if I missed so I picked allstars and now we have a total of 7 or 8 school cheerleaders on the team. So frustrating at practice.

We got schedules for my all star gym at the beginning of the school year and the same for school cheer, so I would just give each coach my other cheer schedule as soon as I got them and talk to them if there were any major conflicts ever. In that case priority of which place I was needed most was used.....for example obviously I'd miss a normal practice for a competition or camp, and I would do a practice the week before nationals or something over a normal every day practice . It's all about balance and working with both coaching staffs to the best of your ability

i cheered for my varsity team in high school my freshman year, with a full, and every year after that I tried out, but the coaches made me choose between high school and all-star every year for the same reason, because the practices were conflicting and it wouldn't be fair if i got to miss practices for another team. I obviously chose all-star over high school, but i still can't believe they wouldn't let me cheer for football games, especially my senior year. I graduated in June and definitely wish i could of been a part of the cheerleading squad all 4 years. It also made me mad because I was the most experienced cheerleader with the most tumbling, and couldn't cheer because i couldn't make it to every practice to go over cheers and base extensions.

I think if the schedules conflict on a regular basis, the cheerleader needs to make a decision to drop one. It is not fair to either team to have someone with a re-occuring schedule conflict. I am sure there are other girls who would love to take her place who does not have a schedule conflict (on either the high school team or all-star team).

I will say that we have a few girls who do both all-star and rec. I overheard a conversation between parents on which team the parent gave priority to. The mom said both are "equally" important to her. She is actively involved in both organizations. I see her point of view as she is involved in both, but I also know the cost difference between rec and all-stars. Just because they are both "equally" important to her, doesn't mean they are both equally important to me and the rest of the team. I pay a lot of money for my daughter to do all-star cheer and if her daughter is absent for rec (which hasn't happened yet), I would not be happy. It doesn't just effect that one child with the schedule conflict, it affects the entire team. Some kids/parents are making huge sacrafices to have their kids on all-star teams and to have a team member with constant schedule issues is not fair to them.

It's great if the schedules work out and don't conflict, but if they do, they do, and decisions need to be made for the best interest of both teams and all girls involved.

my high school coaches' policy was always that high school came first and my all star coaches always said all star comes first. it usually didn't conflict but there were a few times when it did. One year I chose to only do high school and we had a wc shooting star on the team. she was probably the most talented one on the team and she had to miss something for WC. She was kicked off the high school team immediately (of course, i'd pick stars too ;)). It always helps if your coaches are willing to compromise.

it really just depends on what is a priority to you. Yes, I payed for all star, but I committed to high school first each year (tryouts were in april)

my gym is run through my school district (dont ask its complicated) so our coaches understand haha
sorry in advance... i know you said not to ask... but i have to anyways. can you please explain how your all star gym is ran through your school?

Back