School Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 11, 2017
I'm an all-star cheerleader, but recently made the school team. Does anybody have tips to help make the transition smooth?

Be willing to feel weird doing motions, chants, cheers, and general spirit. Think back to when you first started all star and how you had to figure out the culture, same concept. Enjoy!

Withhold your "this is gonna be so easy!" that you may be thinking.

So often, career all star cheerleaders think that HS isn't going to challenge them.

Most of my girls are usually wrong.

The two are very different and that is the challenge.

I've had girls remark that the school routines are at times more challenging because there are no springs, the pace is different, there are counts, motions AND words to cheers, etc.

Watch motion placement. A lot of times All Star girls clap in front of their face where as many high school teams do it in front of their chest. Also watch motion placement in jumps because some All Star teams use low Vs where as many high school teams use a T motion.

Parent here, not a coach or a cheerleader. I have seen allstar girls who feel like they know everything and are "above" the rest of the girls. Since you are asking for transition advice, I will presume you will not do this.

Sideline cheer is different, and if you are at a school with a lot of cheers, it might be an adjustment to learn them all correctly.

I wish you well in your new endeavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something else I noticed that takes some correcting.

I adore my all star girls.

I do.

But they often have too much well, sauce.

They sass and hairflip every motion.

I spend some time telling them that this is a pep rally dance.

Look spirited and happy.

Not IOC5 Worlds mat sassy.

The extra hair flip and sass walk after your tumbling needs to come down like 3 notches.

Thanks love you!

As a high school coach, my advice is be open to different ways of doing things and be open to be coached. Some (not all) former all star cheerleaders come off as not coach-able and to their teammates as know it alls. Be willing and ready to learn a lot of sideline material, a lot of work on motion placement and sharpness, and a slight culture shift. It can be a really fun transition if you are open minded! Best of Luck!

Last edited:
As a high school coach that usually has all-star cheerleaders I recommend working on your voice projection. High School cheer requires your fans, even the ones sitting on the other side of the field to hear you. In all star their isn't a cheer but HS requires it. How can the fans join in if they can't hear what it is that you are asking them to do. I'm just a little passionate about this, why because I love to see the fans support the cheerleaders by participating in crowd response cheers.

Back