High School Seniors On Jv?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Seniors should be put on JV?

• Total voters
Apr 17, 2011
At my school the coaches just started to put seniors who do not have varsity requirements on JV. Before the rule was, as soon as you were a junior you were put on varsity, regardless of skill. But, its not as simple as that, you get not only scored on your tumbling, but on your stunting, jumps, tryout dance, tryout motions, and splits. They said that varsity requirements are standing tuck and round off tuck and roundoff flip flop, or round off flip flop tuck. The thing is, I am a senior, I have my standing tuck and round off flip flop tuck, and they told me I was going to be on JV. Their reasons were "your motion technique needs work", should seniors be held on a lower squad for a reason as simple as that? Im not saying my coaches are wrong, I just want to know what others think if it. For the sake of privacy I will not release the school's name, I am just posting this to see what everyone here thinks.

I completely disagree with what happened in your case. Motions are easily fixed. Tumbling takes much more work and you already have the tumbling. You deserve to be on varsity. But in cases of senior who have no tumbling, they should not get a free ride to varsity just because they're a senior.

I think it's fine to put seniors on jv. There were some seniors on my team last year that should have been jv but made varsity just because they were seniors. They looked really bad and brought the rest of the team down.
In your case though, I think that's a little ridiculous. You have the tumbling and motions are easy to fix. I really hope they pull you up at some point because that's just not fair.

Thanks for your support. :) In Illinois I think its not allowed for competition season to have seniors on JV, but otherwise its fair game.

Thanks for your support. :) In Illinois I think its not allowed for competition season to have seniors on JV, but otherwise its fair game.
That's what I thought. Im from Illinois too and I didn't think that was allowed. What are they going to have you do for competition?

If you don't score enough at tryouts to make Varsity, then you don't get put on Varsity. Expecting to be on Varsity just because you're a senior is yet another example of why cheerleading isn't considered a sport. Would a football player or baseball player who was at a lower skill level than the rest of the team be put on, just because he's a senior? No. Neither should cheerleaders.

If you're a senior and you can't make the cut for varsity, then you should be cut from the program. Some states won't allow seniors on JV in any sport or activity.

At some point in life, young people have to learn that if they can't cut it, then it wasn't meant to be. Of course you got your helicopter parents who seem to think it's their business to run their kids sports life and try and get in politically with heavy donations to the booster club etc. However, that could be a whole topic on its own.

The ones that get cut need to find their niche or work harder at their craft so thay can make the cut.

If you don't score enough at tryouts to make Varsity, then you don't get put on Varsity. Expecting to be on Varsity just because you're a senior is yet another example of why cheerleading isn't considered a sport. Would a football player or baseball player who was at a lower skill level than the rest of the team be put on, just because he's a senior? No. Neither should cheerleaders.

I agree that you can't just make it because you are a senior, but I thought other sports do not put older kids on JV either. I remember at my high school once you were a junior you were on Varsity no matter what, but if you were an outstanding athlete you could make it as a frosh or sophomore. A senior would never play football or baseball on a JV team, because people would stack teams and it's just kind of ridiculous. Really, it's no different than other sports in that way.
I think the main thing is that these other sports don't need to play you, where in cheer nobody rides the bench. I think of sidelines as making the team and making competition team the real Varsity test, but I guess since cheer is not a sport your coach probably has the ability to do whatever she wants. Does it make it right? No way. Sounds shady, and a bit ridiculous to me.
Do you have to cheer for JV games?

I understand how you feel, alot of girls worse than me made Varsity , and I didn't just because thats who they needed for competition. They may think motions are more important than tumbling for their squad. When I tried out, they were looking for a 4'11 girl to throw up in the air, not a 5'2 girl to pull a scorpian. However, (this is coming from a girl who didn't make varsity because they wanted their seniors back) I don't think because you're a senior you should automatically go to varsity, but thats just my opinion. Two of a high school close to me senior's didn't make varsity because they're a highly competitive school and they wanted a certain amount of skill on their team. However, motions are easily fixed, but I didn't get put on my squad because they didn't want to teach a freshman the proper technique for a single leg either, so you're not alone, and I feel for you.

I mean, I would understand if I had no tumbling what so ever and didn't try at all, but actually having tumbling and being put on JV just kinda bums me out. Someone asked about cheering for JV games, I would have to cheer for our sophomore football team and only half of the varsity game. The thing is, there were seniors the last couple years who were on varsity regardless of tumbling level.

If this is a game Squad, then tumbling really isn't going to be much help for them, I think you'll definitly make the competition team, when other things come into play, like your tumbling or your jumps. Good Luck!

At our school, senior or juniors are never put on JV. If you're not good enough, you just don't make the squad. Even in you've been on JV for two years (freshmen and sophomore) and you didn't get the skills you needed there, you just don't make it

At my school, if you make JV your freshman, sophomore and junior year, you are automatically put on varsity out of respect for your loyalty. We've had girls make varsity their sophomore year and then, never be on varsity again for the rest of HS.

Back