High School Should High School JV Cheer teams be treated like Varsity?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A

Anonymous

We have parents that are trying to make our JV and Varsity team one squad with everyone getting the same thing. I am sorry that as a you are on JV, but that is the spot that you earned. The cheerleaders that earned varsity cheer should get special privileges but some JV parents feel otherwise.

What is different in your school for JV vs. Varsity? Should they be one team?

At our HS, everyone tries out and you are placed on either JV or Varsity competition team. This is skill based. You then make either JV or Varsity sidelines, BUT as a freshman, you are automatically on JV sidelines, regardless of competition team placement. My daughter is a freshman and made varsity comp, but is only allowed on JV sidelines. It stinks b/c JV is only allowed to cheer at home games and they only have two home games this season. There aren't really "perks" of being on Varsity sidelines, other than getting to cheer at ALL Friday games (JV plays Sat mornings)- they all wear the same uniform and do team dinners as one. Personally I think the no freshman at Varsity sidelines is dumb. If you are skilled enough that they want to use you for varsity comps, then you belong on varsity. Period.

I just never understood the JV/ Varsity drama.. been going on for YEARS everywhere… JV always has a complex and it’s so disheartening because they ARE the future of every program - understand patience- your time on Varsity WILL come if you take the time to develop.

What's your definition of "special privileges?"

At our school there was drama concerning Varsity and JV, and as a non- HS cheer parent, I understood the JV parents complaint. Varsity and JV parents paid the same fees with the exception of Varsity comp fees, however, Varsity athletes were receiving "special giftbags" worth $50-100 at special outings a few times a season and JV was not. JV parents found out their fees were going toward these items and events. If JV isn't receiving the item, outing etc. and/or items aren't kept within the program for future athlete use, JV parents shouldn't be paying for it. I would have sided with Varsity parents if they were footing the bills for their kid's "special privileges," but they were trying to justify JV parents paying for their kid's extra team items, flowers, jewelry, catered dinners at clubhouses, etc.

What's your definition of "special privileges?"

At our school there was drama concerning Varsity and JV, and as a non- HS cheer parent, I understood the JV parents complaint. Varsity and JV parents paid the same fees with the exception of Varsity comp fees, however, Varsity athletes were receiving "special giftbags" worth $50-100 at special outings a few times a season and JV was not. JV parents found out their fees were going toward these items and events. If JV isn't receiving the item, outing etc. and/or items aren't kept within the program for future athlete use, JV parents shouldn't be paying for it. I would have sided with Varsity parents if they were footing the bills for their kid's "special privileges," but they were trying to justify JV parents paying for their kid's extra team items, flowers, jewelry, catered dinners at clubhouses, etc.
as a parent if I found out the fees were going towards stuff for another cheer team members, I would complain also!! fees should be for their teams coaches fees, uniforms and comp fees... also their xtra activities or their own gifts or their banquets, not another groups.

Back