College Shoulder Stands

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 14, 2010
Hello everyone! Being underneath college pyramids as a shoulder stand rips my shoulders apart. I haven't found any good hacks on how to protect and/or heal this problem in my time cheering yet and thought this would be a good place to ask. I've tried bandages, Neosporin-type ointment, gauze, etc., but nothing seems to withstand the dreaded shoulder stand. Any advice would be great so I can stop crying in the shower and bleeding through my shirts lol.

I was a shoulder stand for my one year on the college mat, (I weigh 170 and my flyer was 100 soaking wet. :D)

The shoes can make a difference. If the shoes are sharp and have grip on the bottom, consider asking your flyer to switch them out to a nicer brand. My flyer used Kaepa's and they were way better than some of the others out there. Also, the shirt makes a difference. I wore an under armor spandex shirt underneath my t shirt or by itself, this was smoother on my skin, and when I was wearing my t shirt, the shirt slid over the spandex instead of my skin. I know most sport's bras are that spandex material, but they don't usually cover the whole shoulder. ;)

Another thing is, the more weight you can lift with your arms, the less weight that will be standing on your shoulders.

Third, try to get the flyer to a shoulder stand in one motion, if she keeps moving around, that will cause friction between your shirt and your skin, which can easily shred you.

Even after all of that, it'll still hurt, so good luck! :p

Definitely agree on the under armor shirt, and also agree on the not moving around. If you think about it she won't be able to adjust her footing in the routine anyways so it's best to just get used to going with whatever you get. The other thing is that pulling down on the calves and her clicking her heels really helps. I know it seems counterintuitive but pulling down, regardless of if it makes her feel heavier, makes it where she can't move. It will be more solid feeling for her and it stops the dreaded "cat sharpening it's claws" walking that hurts like all hell.

Also, if your flyer is a tumbler, having her wear a slightly older pair of shoes that have been worn smooth on bottom feels a lot better than the new ones that have all the tread, but I know that's hard to ask someone to do.

I know this thread is superduper old, but someone might have the same questions as you did back then!

I just wanted to say from experience as being both bottom and mid-layer:
Nfinity Vengance is THE best shoe for the shoulderstand flyer to stand in, and to have on your shoulders.
My flyer had brand new shoes (evolution) and I still sport some nice scars on my shoulders.

AndyT_T is right about the pulling down on the calves part though, it helps heaps!
And in time your shoulders will adjust to the wear and tear. Kinesiology tape eases friction on your shoulders, but it is quite expensive (atleast here in Norway) :)

Back