High School Sick During Tryouts?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 11, 2017
My daughter tryout week is this week. Several of the girls have been hit with a bug that made them very nauseous and vomiting to the point of dehydration. Luckily it seems to last only 24 hours but also seems to be very contagious. The first day 2 girls had it, yesterday 4.

Unfortunately, our coach requires everyone attend all clinic days and stay for all it so the girls were literally throw up in buckets the whole time. They were so sick they couldn’t even do anything but sit with a bucket.

Just wondering if this has ever happened at anyone else’s school or if the coaches ever had to deal with something similar. Doesn’t seem fair to the girls who might be sick on actual tryout day because of this.

My daughter tryout week is this week. Several of the girls have been hit with a bug that made them very nauseous and vomiting to the point of dehydration. Luckily it seems to last only 24 hours but also seems to be very contagious. The first day 2 girls had it, yesterday 4.

Unfortunately, our coach requires everyone attend all clinic days and stay for all it so the girls were literally throw up in buckets the whole time. They were so sick they couldn’t even do anything but sit with a bucket.

Just wondering if this has ever happened at anyone else’s school or if the coaches ever had to deal with something similar. Doesn’t seem fair to the girls who might be sick on actual tryout day because of this.
If the participant looks to be physically ill- they need to be excused from the clinic. I too require kids to be at all clinic dates but there are common sense exceptions for the health and safety of all...
Has anyone actually attempted politely asking the program director if they would mind making an exception? Sometimes many just “assume” that they HAVE to stay at all costs because it’s stated that it’s mandatory when a simple conversation would clear things up.

If the participant looks to be physically ill- they need to be excused from the clinic. I too require kids to be at all clinic dates but there are common sense exceptions for the health and safety of all...
Has anyone actually attempted politely asking the program director if they would mind making an exception? Sometimes many just “assume” that they HAVE to stay at all costs because it’s stated that it’s mandatory when a simple conversation would clear things up.

Yes the first day one of the parents asked if she could be excused because they had a dr’s note. She said no exceptions. The second day she said she couldn’t excuse anyone because she already made the girls stay the first day. :banghead:

Yes the first day one of the parents asked if she could be excused because they had a dr’s note. She said no exceptions. The second day she said she couldn’t excuse anyone because she already made the girls stay the first day. :banghead:
I don’t think she can go against a doctors note... perhaps talk to her one more time and say (again, very politely)...” look- I KNOW how hard it is to keep the rules the SAME for everyone and to make sure the integrity of tryout remains intact... but we are dealing with a bit of an epidemic right now with illnesses and I’m sure you’re concerned with the health and safety of the kids first... Can we talk about about this and at least have a dialogue- I’m not trying to argue with you, just concerned ?”
if she refuses- maybe this isn’t a team you’d want your kid on...

I don’t think she can go against a doctors note... perhaps talk to her one more time and say (again, very politely)...” look- I KNOW how hard it is to keep the rules the SAME for everyone and to make sure the integrity of tryout remains intact... but we are dealing with a bit of an epidemic right now with illnesses and I’m sure you’re concerned with the health and safety of the kids first... Can we talk about about this and at least have a dialogue- I’m not trying to argue with you, just concerned ?”
if she refuses- maybe this isn’t a team you’d want your kid on...

She regularly will disregard a dr’s note or school trainers orders. Sometimes she will follow a note but hassle a student if she doesn’t believe it. It’s not a program I want my daughter in, I’ve complained here about this coach before. My daughter wants varsity letter and to cheer in college so I digress. I told my child though 1 more injury from school cheer and she’s finished.

It seems better now (knock on wood) nobody new got sick today. Just curious if anyone else had been through something like this. I’ve never seen something take out so many students at once. This was just from varsity tryout, I don’t know if any other kids from the other squads were sick.

Yeah that’s all very weird and kind of gross.

If someone is sick or injured during tryouts, I just allow them an “individual” tryout when they’re better. It’s usually (but not always) applied to injured veteran athletes who, if it were up to me, I’d allow back on the team anyway without a tryout because their track record is strong. But if I do that, then there’s always someone who’ll try and game the system by claiming to be “injured” so they can get a BYE for tryouts as well. So I’ll offer an individual as soon as they’re able. This way I can say that everyone, despite injury or illness, had to go through a tryout process to be on the team.

I have always been a "no exceptions" kind of person when it came to pre-tryout injuries because I dislike the idea of assuming that an athlete will come back from that injury with 100% of the skills they had before. Rule was "do what you are cleared to do the best you can but I can't guarantee the outcome you want." (because the rest of the talent pool is obviously uninjured.)

I was a little more flexible with routine illnesses like flu during clinics, so long as that person participated in a tryout (the tryout day itself or on a predetermined private tryout date.)

I have a kiddo at home with a not-so-great immune response so if I were still coaching and a stunt group worth of kids was vomiting, I would probably send them all home.

A friend coaches at a school that actually cancelled and rescheduled evals due to a flu that hit the entire student body.

Fingers crossed. So far daughter seems ok. Yesterday she came home really pale and last night her stomach keep rumbling. I asked her what was happening she said she didn’t know but felt a little weird and had acid reflux.

Obviously I want my daughter to do well and not suffer but...a snarky part of me hopes a group of them just starts projectile vomiting in the middle of tryouts today, like a bad movie scene. AD should be there watching today.

My AD would have my head.
I just wouldn’t be able to live with myself watching a poor kid sit in the corner throwing up all for the sake of “being there” because I said they “had to”... I’m not a parent but my cheer children ARE my kids ...
Both my High school program and the All Star program I work with are pretty strict but the kids ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS come first
Fingers crossed. So far daughter seems ok. Yesterday she came home really pale and last night her stomach keep rumbling. I asked her what was happening she said she didn’t know but felt a little weird and had acid reflux.

Obviously I want my daughter to do well and not suffer but...a snarky part of me hopes a group of them just starts projectile vomiting in the middle of tryouts today, like a bad movie scene. AD should be there watching today.
I literally laughed out loud...

Not trying to be flip and I don't know where you live, but Corona virus anyone?? I mean the days of symptomatic, highly contagious people co-mingling with the otherwise healthy really should be behind us. Shame on that coach.

Given the number of schools that are closing or going online, I really wonder how tryouts are going to work for ANY team for next fall.

Given the number of schools that are closing or going online, I really wonder how tryouts are going to work for ANY team for next fall.
I hear you and feel for people that are in the middle of it now or they are soon! We are out of school now with no return date known. Our tryouts are in June and If we are not back by then we have issues far more significant than tryouts. :(

Aren’t you the same person who started the thread about people peeing on each other while stunting?

Is this the same coach?

If so, why are you still dealing with this program?

it seems you have consciously made a decision to stick with a program being coached by someone you have already demonstrated that you do not trust.

I hear you and feel for people that are in the middle of it now or they are soon! We are out of school now with no return date known. Our tryouts are in June and If we are not back by then we have issues far more significant than tryouts. :(
June?! My word!!!!
We just moved to virtual tryouts- bless up

Back