Single Leg 180

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 24, 2014
My level two team has been having the hardest time with these single leg twists. The choreography calls for a 180 to heel stretch, and they are having a hard time just getting them to libs (if at all). We don't have time for them to two leg 180 in and then hand up to lib. Our next competition is in about a month and it's a big one for us rival wise. Does anyone have any tips for how to make these work? This is our only full-team stunt that has the twist so our points depend on this hitting.

Right now, the main is holding a 360 grip on the toe and secondary has bottom of the foot and under the flyers bent leg to help toss her up. The universal problem is that they are not getting around enough, twist is too slow, etc. The most severe group sometimes stops with the flyer facing completely to the side and then she buckles from the wonky positioning. However, flyers ARE standing up. I can't help but think someone underneath resisting the twist somewhere or something is going wrong. I've considered switching the main's grips to something more along the lines of a tradition 180 crossed hands kind of thing. Does anyone have any thoughts or tips? How does your team do it?

You can do crossed hands (left over right, flyer spins to her right) or ruby slipper. Let me see if I can find some video links for you.

We do ours where the top girl does a 1/4 turn to lib and the bases do a 1/4 turn simultaneously. It's super easy and still scores the same.

In load the stunt group is facing to the side but top girl twists her torso to put both hands on the secondary's shoulders (now her back is to the crowd). If she is strong enough to hold herself in a typical load position but with both bases hands on the correct lib foot, then no one needs to let go. Or you can start from a standard two foot load and have the secondary, toss and re-grab.

Here's a video of a ruby slipper 1/2 up to extended lib. Just keep it at prep level to make it legal for level 2. (It shows what @DaniV was describing):

We are going to try the ruby slipper grip next practice! We even found a group to do a demo for our girls! Thank you guys so much for all your input :)

Back