High School Skinny Kid Partner Stunting:(

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 1, 2010
Yeah, so my HS has started working partner stunting, and I'm working partner stunting at my allstar gym too. Heres the issue, I'm 115 pounds.
I was a flyer traditionally, so being skinny was ok, but now its workin against me.

I can't be the only one who's had this problem, right? I see people make the transition from allstar cheer to Collegiate cheer all the time!

Any tips on partner stunting when you're not very strong? I'm a great backspot because I know how to use my height/experience to my advantage, so my lack of brute strength isn't an issue.

I just can't seem to get the same thing to work in partner stunting though! I can do walk in to hands and lib and stuff, but I cant toss to anything!!

Yeah, so my HS has started working partner stunting, and I'm working partner stunting at my allstar gym too. Heres the issue, I'm 115 pounds.
I was a flyer traditionally, so being skinny was ok, but now its workin against me.

I can't be the only one who's had this problem, right? I see people make the transition from allstar cheer to Collegiate cheer all the time!

Any tips on partner stunting when you're not very strong? I'm a great backspot because I know how to use my height/experience to my advantage, so my lack of brute strength isn't an issue.

I just can't seem to get the same thing to work in partner stunting though! I can do walk in to hands and lib and stuff, but I cant toss to anything!!

I've stunted with many guys like you - I was always the smallest on my college team and always got the little guys. In my experience, they've always had to walk in stunts and maybe got a lib, but you're right, the toss stunt was always an issue. You're just going to have to get bigger and stronger, starting lifting weights maybe. I've seen some awesome 130/140 lb fairly small guys do some awesome stunts, but they're all muscle.

The awesome thing about tossing stunts is that it is ALL legs. The more explosive you initiate the toss the higher she will go. Physics/timing has a lot to do with how well you toss her so video yourself and slow mo it then you will see were the issue lies. Also, start doing hang cleans and hang snatches in the weight room. It'll help on developing your fast twitch muscles in your legs.

When I left high school I could barely toss extension. Once I got to college and had the right coaching I was doing full ups in no time.

Good luck. Partner stunting is the BEST part of cheerleading. IMO :)

I'm 140 I still struggle with some tosses. but it's not about muscle in the end it's about the technique you use. I know guys that have been cheering for about the same time as me, they have like 30-50 pounds on me and I can do more than they can. it's all about technique. well for th most part [:

well, i'm a base so i don't know if i'll be much help to you , but ill try my best :) i'm guessing your a backspot ? so listen, it doesn't really matter how small you are , i honestly think that if you work hard enough anyone can base or back . my advice to you is ( if your basing) would be to drive up with your legs, use all your leg power, don't just use your arms, it will make you feel weak . get under neeth the flyer , & never let her hit the floor . if you just drive up with your legs i'm pretty sure your stunt will go up & hopefully it will hit :) if you a backspot, make sure you make your flyer feel comfortable up there. in different stunts ask your flyer what she prefers better for you to do, so your stunt will stay up . you can also try some push ups and arm work at home & leg work , like leg lifts or something:) i hope i helped !

I totally feel you Im around 120 and last summer I had to partner stunt for work (Im on usa staff) and the girl was around 115 so I was basically stunting my own weight. But I was able to do toss extensions and half press to libs because I was using technique and legs. It takes practice but isn't impossible.

I totally feel you Im around 120 and last summer I had to partner stunt for work (Im on usa staff) and the girl was around 115 so I was basically stunting my own weight. But I was able to do toss extensions and half press to libs because I was using technique and legs. It takes practice but isn't impossible.

Any tips? Cause its lookin pretty impossible right now? Ive always been able to base and backspot great, but I just cant get the form down:(

Any tips? Cause its lookin pretty impossible right now? Ive always been able to base and backspot great, but I just cant get the form down:(

Use your legs, let her do the work. Once she explodes, extend your arms and flick her up. Get under her feet and try not to arch. You want to keep her weight over your legs.

What kickdblcj said. And reps, lots and lots and lots of reps. Partner stunting takes a long time to get the basics down.

Back