Skirting The Cheerleader Issue In Green Bay

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 28, 2013
Click For Full Article

The Journal Sentinel published Skirting the Cheerleader Issue in Green Bay. Green Bay is one of six franchises in the National Football League without an official squad. The cheerleading units for the other 26 teams often have been described as eye candy on the sidelines.

I find this article very irritating.
What do they mean by "official?" Does it mean sanctioned by the football team organization or does it mean the sexualized dancers that are called cheerleaders at NFL games?
And I'm kinda against them using the term "modern" cheer team. I guess they're using it in the context of modern NFL cheer teams, but as someone in the cheer world, NFL cheerleaders are the exact opposite of what I think of when someone mentions a modern cheer team.
And as I have said multiple times, NFL cheerleaders aren't cheerleaders. They're dancers. What they do does require extreme dedication and hard work and I'm not hating on them, but it's not cheerleading.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I'm annoyed. So they're saying they want 20-25 aged girls barely wearing clothes that are Dancers....
Green Bay's cheerleading team is by far my favorite, because they are ACTUAL cheerleaders. The title is my "favorite" part. "skirting the cheerleader issue in Green Bay".. Is this truly an "issue"? Ugh. Green Bay better keep the college girls and guys! They're awesome!

Well I would think by official they mean paid by the team, and aren't the ravens cheerleaders also one of the few teams of ACTUAL cheerleaders? I'm pretty sure I've seen them stunt before, and not just be a dance team in lingerie with Pom poms. I think the issue the teams without cheerleaders have is that they think the cheerleaders have to be basically pretty girls in bikinis on the field for entertainment. And that's not creating a family environment that those NFL teams want to have. I think it's cool that the college girls cheer at the games and it would stink for them if the Packers say, "sorry we don't need you anymore we hired girls who want to be models and dance instead."

I have a few thoughts, my main issue is with calling other teams cheerleaders cause they're dancing that is it. Drives me insane. This quote also bothers me "
"Take the last home game, for example. They showed a couple cheese bikini-clad women in the stands and the fans went nuts. The 'Bikini Girls' in general, I don't know if they've shown pictures of them yet on the Jumbotron, but they're a big hit." I wouldn't say they are such a "big hit" cause they are in a bikini, it is not like the crowd exploded all of a sudden. I feel like the people are more "cheering" if they even are cheering, in a way like you girls are crazy, its cold out rather than cheering like oh yeah, those girls are so hot. Even if they had professional dancers for the games, there is no way they would wear those outfits. The packers don't play in a dome, it's cold and it's just unrealistic to have such small outfits on dancers outside in a Wisconsin fall/winter.

Regardless of peoples opinion, I just feel lucky to be blessed with such a great opportunity even if our quarterback would rather have professional dancers. Matthews is my favorite player anyways.

Personally I don't think there is any "issues" like the title of the article says. It bugs me a lot that NFL cheerleaders are called cheerleaders when in reality they are dancers. I agree with Mark Murphy, I like the collegiate image we have. And many thanks to Datone Jones for the nice comment :) I guess it makes me a little sad hearing that my favorite football player would rather replace us with dancers, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Do I think it would work in Green Bay? No, not really (not just saying that because I'm totally biased towards using college cheerleaders). It gets cold fast and we don't have a dome. I also agree with what my sister said about the "bikini girls". Even though some people might not like that the Packers don't have NFL cheerleaders dancers, I'm very glad they don't use them because otherwise I would not get to have this great experience, and I'm very grateful that they allow us to do this. GO PACK<3

Well my two sister basically said it all. For most NFL teams, their "cheerleaders" are not cheerleaders, they are dancers, that's what they do. Personally I don't really get why they are referred to as "cheerleaders". But don't get me wrong, all those girls are exceptionally great dancers and I know I couldn't do those routines, and I'm sure they dont think they could our stuff. Like mentioned above, having that type of cheerleading in Green Bay would be hard since it gets so cold here, just not very realistic with Green Bay weather. I think that having college cheerleaders does set Green Bay apart. Instead of just dancing you see stunts, baskets, tumbling, pyramids, and yes cheering. There was a comment on an article that stood out to me, it said something around the lines that in Green Bay using college cheerleaders is good because people who actually care and are wanting to cheer on the team as well as perform.

Although some people don't like the "cheerleader situation" in Green Bay, I feel so blessed to be given this unique opportunity and I thank the Packer organization for allowing us to do this. Most importantly GO PACK <3

I wonder if my CP would want to go to college near green bay to get this experience. Oh wait...then she would have to become a Green Bay fan. Sorry can't happen in this Bears household.;) Great Job ladies - you represent the industry well and honestly wish more teams would go back to this model - but I guess I am biased.

I wonder if my CP would want to go to college near green bay to get this experience. Oh wait...then she would have to become a Green Bay fan. Sorry can't happen in this Bears household.;) Great Job ladies - you represent the industry well and honestly wish more teams would go back to this model - but I guess I am biased.
Aww thank you! I mean your daughter could do it as a Bears fan, we actually have a guy on the team who's a Lions fan! Hah

Aww thank you! I mean your daughter could do it as a Bears fan, we actually have a guy on the team who's a Lions fan! Hah
:D In reality - she probably does not care - it is Mama bear that would not know what to make of it. LOL...However seeing a Packers - Bears game at Lambeau field is on the bucket list...so may be I should rethink this college plan.

Question: Do all athletes on the squad participate - or only select ones? Cheers.

:D In reality - she probably does not care - it is Mama bear that would not know what to make of it. LOL...However seeing a Packers - Bears game at Lambeau field is on the bucket list...so may be I should rethink this college plan.

Question: Do all athletes on the squad participate - or only select ones? Cheers.
LOL, Rethink the plan, GB is a great school :)
Yup, everyone participates for every game!

Back