Slow Back Handsprings?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 10, 2011
I started getting spotted for my back handsprings on the tumble trak and my coach tells me my handsprings are going very slow, almost in slow motion. Any tips to make them faster? Thanks in advance! :)

over exadurate the jump and bending of the legs in the sit, swing fast and look at your toes when you jump

Thank you so much!!!!!!
Good thing to help with that. Have your coaches set up mats that you jump back on. It helps you understand the jump and what a good one feels like:) Works wonders on me. Whenever my jump is off my tumble coach makes me do 5 of them, come back to the mat, and my back handspring is good as new.

I started getting spotted for my back handsprings on the tumble trak and my coach tells me my handsprings are going very slow, almost in slow motion. Any tips to make them faster? Thanks in advance! :)
Really use the swing of your arms to extend your body and power through your legs. What I try to tell my kids in lessons is to jump so hard that you point your toes, creating the arch and length plus power you need. Once you get the hang of that, try doing your handsprings UP the cheese mat. You'll have no choice but to jump harder to make it up the mat :) Hope this helps!!!

You want fast arms!! By "swiping" your feet, I think they may mean to snap down. By that, I mean squeeze your abs and your butt and drive your toes to the ground as fast as you can. Handstand snap down drills will really help here! Used to have the same issue. It's all about the shape change for speed -- move from your open body position (think: good handstand, shoulders open, hips in line with shoulders, head in) to your hollow body position (think: abs and butt squeezed, feet on the ground, hips slightly forward, arms by your ears) as fast as you can. There is only a small difference between the two positions, which is open-closed-open-closed (and so on) shoulders. Again, it's all about fast arms! Go watch YouTube videos of higher level cheerleaders tumbling and watch how they move from their handstand position to their hollow position when they tumble. This may help!

This ^ is what my coach told me last and I have improved from barely a level 3 tumbler to a solid level 4 tumbler! So sorry if it's confusing!

Back