Sprained Ankle...missed Practice...yay-__-

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 25, 2012
So today I sprained my ankle and now i cant walk on it. Had to miss practice. Dont you love missing practice? NOPE. Becauseeee Coach mad, team mates MAD , parents think your waisting their money beacause your not going. Any opinions?????? Im so freaking worried that I will get moved down a level, Because my coaches have been adjusting teams...and ive been missing practices for dance competitons! So yea, OPINIONSSS??

Honeslty i've been out for 3 months due to a knee injury but i kept going to the gym everyday i had practice and conditioned so the coaches will realize me and know that i'll get better and just go right back in

Reactions: Ems
Honeslty i've been out for 3 months due to a knee injury but i kept going to the gym everyday i had practice and conditioned so the coaches will realize me and know that i'll get better and just go right back in
Well, I think I actually sprained it bad enough that walking it off and conditioning it will make me go through more agoinizing pain and it will make it worst possibly leading up to surgery. Yea it happened falling down my stairs backwards while getting ready for practice! It sucks both ways.

ouch you should go to the doctors well try! to be honest i needed to get surgery right away but i had to compete so i waited for a while it turned out that i didnt anymore im not saying that you should wait but they'll give you crutches. Conditioning is more like sit ups and stuff if you're injured

Yea, Like I have NO Idea how im supposed to get around because lately since it happened today ive been HOPPING around on one foot....I Base not fly so i dont have that great of balance haha so ive fell and hurt it more like alot today and its not a great feeling ha!

Think it just depends how much you want to be on your current team. If it was me I'd still be attending all practices and trying to do as much as you can during conditioning and just supporting your team. I broke my ankle 10-11 season and competed the next week but then again thought it was just a sprain (told that too) but still obvs not saying to ignore your injury but you still need to be at practice for your coaches to take you seriously.

I get seriously annoyed when my athletes don't show up because they're injured or sick. I get throwing up/fevers and missing or a family emergency but anything else other than that is unacceptable IMHO

also I'm a bit surprised your coaches don't care that you're missing practice for dance...

Think it just depends how much you want to be on your current team. If it was me I'd still be attending all practices and trying to do as much as you can during conditioning and just supporting your team. I broke my ankle 10-11 season and competed the next week but then again thought it was just a sprain (told that too) but still obvs not saying to ignore your injury but you still need to be at practice for your coaches to take you seriously.

I get seriously annoyed when my athletes don't show up because they're injured or sick. I get throwing up/fevers and missing or a family emergency but anything else other than that is unacceptable IMHO

also I'm a bit surprised your coaches don't care that you're missing practice for dance...

Well our gym has National Teams, And Reaginal. Nationals is more strict and time consuming and you cant miss practice. Nationals Also travels more, Like regular Allstar Cheerleading, Reaginal Team is where its LESS Time comsuming and You can miss practices for other things until school starts. Im on Reginal Because my family travels waaayy to much and im gonna end up missing practices. When I told my coach they just said good luck and have fun! Then I got back yesterday and I was getting ready for practice and Thats When My ankle got hurt! Like I tried Walking on it butttttt I CANT EVEN DO THAT! I cant move it without crying and screaming, it hurts like crap! I have the worst level of sprain. Its not something that I can Walk Off Because it could cause me to have to have surgery and I could possibly end up hurting it WORSTT!!!!:( Then There not alot of me doing cheerleading. PERIOD. So Im gonna let it heal and hopefully will be able to participate in choreogrphy in August. If not then Im Just Gonna Watch.

GO TO THE DOCTORS. I've broken the same ankle 3 times. I walked on it this last time thinking it was a sprain and it was broken in 2 spots and I had rips in ligaments. Ankles aren't something to mess with! Before you do anything else, cheer related or not, get in and see someone.

I would just go to as many practices as you can and just sit and watch and participate as much as you can, I understand, I have injured myself and I just had to sit and watch the practices. I know I hate it when one of my team mates miss practice for no reason, but I understand that you have an injury and all but just try to participate as much as you can when you have practice!!!

Lol I didn't mean to do what I did cuz that can be dangerous as mine was broken. Definitely go get it checked at the hospital for a break and as it's healing still go to practice and try to participate with small stuff and just show your team you care...cheer them on for stunts and tumbling and stuff like that. Doesn't matter if you do Regional or National to show up to practice even when you have an injury speaks volumes to a coach.

even if i was injured i would still atleast go in and sit somewhere and be with your team. it would kill me to have to miss any practice. if you are extremely devoted, you shouldnt miss practices, atleast be there. :)

I've had two major injuries, and I never missed a practice while having those injuries. I came, sat at the front, watched & cheered for my teams.
My first major injury was to my left foot/ankle. They said I'd basically minorly sprained it 5+ times without knowing and that led to stretched tendons/ligaments. I was in a walking boot for 6 months. I came to practice with the highest support ankle brace you could get, and did everything but stunting and jumping. I sat and stretched for those two. I was supposed to have surgery also, but we got a second opinion and did PT for almost 9 months. So it's of your best interest to see a sports medicine doctor. DONT GO TO AN ORTHOPEDIC DOCTOR. That was our first mistake with my injury. They deal with old people and surgery. The surgery they wanted to do to me would put me out for 24+ months. We got a sports medicine doctor's second opinion and he said PT would do the trick, and it did. Go see a doctor before you end up in my situation!!

You should go and watch in case they change anything. If you can't do it you can at least be there and be supportive. I was in a boot and still walked through everything and conditioned. Being there is the important part to show you're still apart of the team.

Wait, I'm confused. Have you gone to the doctor yet or is this like a personal diagnosis of being so bad it might need surgery? Because the doctor should have given you crutches so you didn't have to hobble. I would still go to practice if I wear you and condition. Plus if they change anything like motions or whatnot you will learn it to because you are there.

My professional advice as a nurse...do NOT self diagnose yourself. Go get it checked and then if you have a doubt about something like a sprain really being a break go get a 2nd opinion (or 3rd :p or 4th in my case). Many people do know their own bodies so they know when something is wrong but a doctor still should be seen.

Back