Standing Back Tuck Help Please!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 11, 2010
I don't want to hijack any of the existing threads so here it goes:
I'm 29, trying to learn a standing back tuck.

I seem to be only able to concentrate on either setting or tucking or landing. Tucking being the main problem, I guess but I'm not sure.
I'm told that I need to grab under my knees really hard and pull them ober with my arms. It just doesn't seem to work that well.
Now I've read on here that I should do something with my hips. Sorry for the dumb question but... what exactly do I have to do? Can you describe how that's supposed to feel? :oops: Oh and any drills that I can do at the gym or at home would be awesome!

I really, really want to get this. *grr* ;)

I feel you! I'm in my 20s learning to do a back tuck too. I can do them fine with a spot but the minute they take their hand away and just stand there I land short and bust my ankles. It's stupid that I commit less to a skill without a spot because it actually makes it more unsafe, but try explaining that logic to my brain :eek:

I'm not the best person to explain any drills, just wanted to wish you luck and let you know you're not the only adult trying to learn how to tumble!

Thank you so much, it feels really good to be not the only one out there! I'm sure we'll get there eventually!!
Just gotta keep trying. I know what you mean about that fear when no one's next to you. I did my first tuck on my own on an airtrack yesterday and after my failed attempts to "just chuck it" on my bed... let's just say, I was more than nervous!

You've got this, trust yourself!

Its because you aren't setting up. you're jumping straight back, so then you have no height to bring your legs around. Try a different way to set. Clap, bring your arms out to a low V while standing on your toes, swing your arms back and then up around to a touch-down position. As you bring your arms up, you jump and tuck. If you do the set right, your knees will reach your hands and then you can tuck tighter. as you land, look for you toes and keep your hands on your thighs. do NOT look or the ground. look for your toes.

i hope this helps, i explained it as best as i can

I have a friend whose standing tucks are identical to yours! Your problem is that you are bringing your arms straight up to your ears at first, but then bring them back down to meet your legs as soon as you start to rotate. Try to make big arm circles when you rotate and bring your knees up, not your arms down. Your arms should go straight up and back and around, pulling under your legs when they get there. The main thing is to always keep your arms straight and pulling backwards- this is what your arms should do, only obviously a lot faster.

Also- make sure you make the set almost a separate motion. I always tell myself to set as high as i can, and tuck when i hit the peak of my set.

in the second video you had some pretty good sets, its your hip lift that a bit slow, I've seen girls not set as good as some of yours still make their tucks because they can roll their hips so well (I'll try to find video to show you), but do you have a standing handspring and, this is going to sound like a joke, do you have a good back roll?

When doing your tuck, lift first, bring your knees to your chest, then push through your hips and pull yourself over!

Thank you guys! I'm about to leave for some open gym tumbling and I'll try to keep everything in mind, what you wrote! I know that I don't tuck fast enough but I'll try focusing on my hips and see what that'll do.
Oh and I don't have a handspring but I do at least have a decent backwards roll, I think. I'll pay attention to that tonight!

Thank you soo much!!

After landing on my neck yesterday due to a misunderstanding with my spotter (who thought I would just jump straight up and not tuck)... my coach said today that my tuck is getting better for the first time ever! :D My neck is still stiff and everything but as long as I'm eventually getting there, I'm fine with that. ;)

When u are setting you are throwing your hips forward which is making you gainer. You need to think about keeping a hollow body when u are setting and also you are grabbing so close to ur butt that it doesn't do anything. If you grab behind your knees you will be able to actually pull your legs around
Hope this helps!! :)

I don't want to hijack any of the existing threads so here it goes:
I'm 29, trying to learn a standing back tuck.

I seem to be only able to concentrate on either setting or tucking or landing. Tucking being the main problem, I guess but I'm not sure.
I'm told that I need to grab under my knees really hard and pull them ober with my arms. It just doesn't seem to work that well.
Now I've read on here that I should do something with my hips. Sorry for the dumb question but... what exactly do I have to do? Can you describe how that's supposed to feel? :oops: Oh and any drills that I can do at the gym or at home would be awesome!

I really, really want to get this. *grr* ;)

you need to extend your hands all the way up to your ears before you pull for the tuck or you will not get any height.

Thank you so much, it feels really good to be not the only one out there! I'm sure we'll get there eventually!!
Just gotta keep trying. I know what you mean about that fear when no one's next to you. I did my first tuck on my own on an airtrack yesterday and after my failed attempts to "just chuck it" on my bed... let's just say, I was more than nervous!

You've got this, trust yourself!

I'm 26 and trying to get a standing tuck. It IS nice to know I'm not alone, haha.

Maybe I'm imagining things but I feel like it's slowly coming along a tiny bit more fluent...

new:

I know, I'm still not setting enough, I guess. It just takes so darn much guts for me not to jump back... *argh*

Back