All-Star Starting cheering at 27, too late?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 8, 2022
I’m in my late 20s and I joined a non tumbling cheer team about a month ago. I wanted to do cheer for a long time but I was kind of nervous to join a team when I was a teenager and didn’t have the possibilities during my early 20s. So I am very happy I got to possibilities to join a team accepting beginners from 18+.

I don’t have any proper cheer experience and only did recreational gymnastics in primary school - so that’s like almost 20 years ago. I did practice jumps at home as teenager, so my jumps are actually pretty good for a beginner.

I’m scared I’m not good enough. Especially because I just became a flyer and I am not very flexible anymore but I am the shortest in the team.

What’s your opinion of starting cheer so late? Is it stupid?

And do you have any advice for me on how I can improve my skills? Get more flexible safely?

It's never too late to start something you enjoy. Nor is it stupid. You don't have to worry about tumbling, so that's a plus.

For flexibility, it's better to stretch once you are warm. Don't ever stretch cold, that is how you do damage. So, if you want to cheat on warming your muscles, take a nice hot bath or shower and then stretch after that. That'll help. Don't over do it, just do a little at a time. The flexibility will come.

For flying, just stay tight in the air. See if maybe you can get a group to come in extra to do some work.

Enjoy!

I’m in my late 20s and I joined a non tumbling cheer team about a month ago. I wanted to do cheer for a long time but I was kind of nervous to join a team when I was a teenager and didn’t have the possibilities during my early 20s. So I am very happy I got to possibilities to join a team accepting beginners from 18+.

I don’t have any proper cheer experience and only did recreational gymnastics in primary school - so that’s like almost 20 years ago. I did practice jumps at home as teenager, so my jumps are actually pretty good for a beginner.

I’m scared I’m not good enough. Especially because I just became a flyer and I am not very flexible anymore but I am the shortest in the team.

What’s your opinion of starting cheer so late? Is it stupid?

And do you have any advice for me on how I can improve my skills? Get more flexible safely?
I started cheer late too. None experience whatsoever. It's not too late! I saw one team have a 30 something year old on their team. I know a few friends who are mid to late 20s on a team.

Don't overdo stretching! Young kids can stretch hard because their muscles are like rubber. The more I stretched the less flexible I got and the more injuries I got. Stretch slower and slightly more relaxed. 😉 Do you have a stunt stand or any other equipment at your house?

I started cheer late too. None experience whatsoever. It's not too late! I saw one team have a 30 something year old on their team. I know a few friends who are mid to late 20s on a team.

Don't overdo stretching! Young kids can stretch hard because their muscles are like rubber. The more I stretched the less flexible I got and the more injuries I got. Stretch slower and slightly more relaxed. 😉 Do you have a stunt stand or any other equipment at your house?
That's so motivating to hear! :)
For how long have you been cheerleading now?

Definitely stretching more relaxed to not overdo it. I did gymnastics when I was a child, so yes I feel the difference between how stretching feels now and what I need to do is slower and less "aggressive".

I don't have a stunt stand but I've been using the thin side of a yoga block to practice standing on one foot. I might invest in a stunt stand at one point but for now, I think it's fine.

Latest posts

Back