Struggling To Promote Rec Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 17, 2014
Hi All,

We are a new gym and have 6 all stars teams but are really struggling to promote and get recreational kids. We have done a variety of advertising. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else we can do to help this program! Thanks a lot:)

1) Offer up your gym at reduced rates for the rec teams to practice in for a few hours before their comps. Get them in the gym.

2) establish good relationships with local rec coaches. Perhaps offer a coaches' clinic to establish rapport (just don't assume that all rec coaches are uncertified or not knowledgeable about the sport simply because they are volunteers.) If the rec teams compete, find out where and go over scoresheets and emphasize how additional tumbling will improve scores. Get the rec coaches on your side, they will advertise for you.

3) Once you know the coaches, offer them team tumbling classes - a time set aside for just their team to tumble. It can be intimidating for rec kids to go to classes where they think they will be completely out-tumbled by all star kids. (I had a kid who attended our team tumble time at an all star gym for the first time this past weekend, and even though it was just our team, she was so nervous she threw up in the car, poor thing.)

4) Keep in mind the big picture: do you want additional revenue streams for the gym or are you looking to simply add kids to your all star roster? Rec coaches may not be as receptive to your "help" if you're trying to convince all of their kids to switch to all star (I have always encouraged my rec kids to do whatever is right for them and their families, and cheered them on if they decided all star was the right fit, but I'd be much less receptive to an all star gym trying to convince my kids that our rec program is simply no good.) Sometimes rec is the right fit for a kid, but they can still benefit from your services and bring revenue to your gym.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Icheer for allstars & coach pop warner. My gym does a free clinic for pop warner/rec kids to come work skills... In the process they're meeting coaches and parents are seeing the gym and their kids getting skills so it sparks interest! Hope this helps!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Free or reduced practice time or free open gym would be a great gift. Tiffaninicole's suggestion of a free clinic is great! Most rec-leagues don't have money to pay extra fees. I direct a rec-league program myself, and have tried to negotiate free gym time in one of the nearby allstar gyms but no takers. It's free advertising for you and exposes a different population to the world of allstar cheer.

Back