High School Student Section Ideas

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Theme games were big at my high school. Black out, white out, we had a "part the Red Sea" game where one kid dressed as Moses and the rest wore red, when we played the private school by us every wore school uniform type apparel. It was fun and got people involved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "I believe that we will win" + baby powder thing was big at our school. We also had a student section Twitter run by a couple seniors who took ideas for theme nights and ran them by administration, then posted a list of all the themes before the season started. They organized carpools to away games, learned some of the chants and made it their goal to one up the other team's fan section lol. That started my senior year after 3 years of pitiful attendance. All it took for us was a handful of people to really push attendance even though our football team wasn't the best.

The "I believe that we will win" + baby powder thing was big at our school. We also had a student section Twitter run by a couple seniors who took ideas for theme nights and ran them by administration, then posted a list of all the themes before the season started. They organized carpools to away games, learned some of the chants and made it their goal to one up the other team's fan section lol. That started my senior year after 3 years of pitiful attendance. All it took for us was a handful of people to really push attendance even though our football team wasn't the best.
Our student cheering section did the baby powder. It wasn't a hit with the band on on side and a bunch of cheer parents on the other. It really made it hard to breathe.

They tried feathers too. Also, not a hit.

I am okay with paper confetti type stuff and not a lot else.

We had cheers that were call and response but were unique to our school. We had a history of a big student section and cheers that had been done for decades. It was dying out around my sophomore year, but by junior year, my friends were in charge of fan section so we had a good relationships. If we asked them to do a cheer, they would. We made a new cheer that they loved, we would coordinate spirit days. I don't know. Student sections are built on student relationships. I was VP of my class and cheer captain so having relationships with people who were doing spirit sections made it so much fun. I miss it so much!

We got lucky when a few of our cheerleaders ended up officers in ASB. ASB usually handles our student section so we made sure we spent a day teaching ASB the words to some of our more traditional cheers. We also had our cheerleaders hold a small "clinic" at freshman orientation where we taught them two of our more well known cheers and some chants.

Get your cheerleaders to "PLANT" students in the student section. This always works for us. So about 20 designated individuals that are their "go to" kids that "get things started" we call them our "tribe"... Their sole purpose is to encourage and get the crowd to follow their doing. They have a specific social media account "tribe" and they post "tonight's game everyone tribe up in WaR WEAR"... So people know what to do... ASB supports their efforts...They pair up in the stands in different places with signs or pile up in the front and we'll tell them "before hand" our cheer and what to "say back"... They participate so everyone sees them acting crazy and fun... So everyone feels kind of dumb just sitting there next to them... So they join. It works really well.

My old high school holds "Fan Bootcamp" at the end of each summer. It started after I graduated so I don't really know what goes on. But I know they offer free tshirts to the first like 100 kids to get people to attend. The AD picks a few student leaders to like lead the stuff. I think the cheer team goes over some of their like crowd things.

We always had a big like student section cheer that was like

One person yelled out: "isn't that the score board " (points at board)

Section: "yes that is the score board)

Person "isn't that referees" (points at refs)

Section: "yes that is the referees"

Person: "Isn't that the losing team" (points at the other team"

Section: "yes that is the losing team"

Person: "isn't that the winning team" (points at our team)

Sections "yes that is the winning team)

Person: "scoreboard" (points)
Section: "scoreboard"
Person: "referees" (points)
Section: "referees"
Person: "losing team" (points)
Section: "losing team"
Person: "winning team" (points)
Section: "winning team"
And then everyone goes crazy. Cheer team participated as well

Everyone is seated (or kneeling) and then you stand up when it's your turn to yell/point.

ETA: here is this years Falls Fan Camp promo video. Falls Fan Camp 2015 - YouTube

Last edited:
Back