OT Summer Reading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
okayy well i am a total book nerd, so here we go. lo
first off, great gatsby is awesome! so you're lucky your teacher has good taste. some people aren't a fan, but i haven't met many people that dont enjoy it.

the bluest eye: an amazing book. the material is very mature content, but if you can handle that than you're golden. i had to do a project for interpretive literature and there were different groups of books with themes, ours was "growing up" and we read push, the bluest eye, and i know why the caged bird sings. let me tell you, if i were to give them a theme, it would NOT be growing up. all of these books have to deal with sexual abuse and overcoming it. they can be a tough read if that kind of stuff bothers you, but i loved them all. they were so well written
adventures of huckleberry finn: don't let its size fool you lol it is a classic, yes, but thats not always a bad thing! it is actually a very good read. i found it quite humorous actually.
the color purple: i have not read it yet, but i have heard such wonderful things about it.
catch 22: i personally enjoyed this book, but alot of people find it confusing. it has ALOT of characters and ALOT of plot twists. the different chapters are written from different characters. and don't bother actually trying to figure out what catch 22 is, you'll just confuse yourself :) hahaha
the kite runner: OH MY GOSH. probably one of my favorite books of all times. when we first got assigned it, i was told it is about politics, and i was just kind of like oh dear god i hope not. lol it is, but definitely not in the way you would expect. this book is also decently graphic and contains some mature content, but it is an excellent read. i've reread it multiple times for pleasure reading.
the scarlet letter: i actually enjoy this book very much too. i wrote my summer essay on it my sophomore year of highschool actually. the language can be a little tough for some people, but the book itself is a great story.
prince and the pauper: im a big mark twain junkee, so i liked it of course :)
i've also read a few others on that list, but to be perfectly honest, when you read as much as i do, you tend to forget what some of them are about after awhile lol
hope i helped a little! you really should read some of them for pleasure, this is an excellent list of books!

thank you everyone for your imput, i've narrowed it down to a few after looking at them at the book store, going to sparknotes them to get a better feel for them, the books i have narrowed it down to are:
-farenheit-451
-cannery row
-the color purple
-the road
-the bluest eye
-slaughterhous-3
-invisible man
-scarlett letter

I am reaching into the archives here and going for the ones that I remember as being good but easier reads. Not easy as in simple, they are still complex, but easier for me to sit and emjoy. Not a beach read, but more that direction than say, "The Scarlett Letter."

The Promise - Potak - I liked this one enough to re-read, and I never do that.
Kitchen Gods Wife - Tan tells good stories and I always enjoy her interweaving of cultures
Cidar House Rules - Irving always make me laugh in the midst of his tragedies.

thank you everyone for your imput, i've narrowed it down to a few after looking at them at the book store, going to sparknotes them to get a better feel for them, the books i have narrowed it down to are:
-farenheit-451
-cannery row
-the color purple
-the road
-the bluest eye
-slaughterhous-3
-invisible man
-scarlett letter

i loved slaughterhouse V and fahrenheit 451. i had to read the awakening for a women's lit class last year and it was good and it's also pretty short.

Farenheit 451 is supposed to be really good!! I haven't read any of the books on the list you have (Surprisingly) but I only have to read one book this summer and no essays (thankfully). I forget the title but my English teacher had it on the board :p

That's crazy to have to do that over your summer...
did you never have to do summer reading?! I had it every year from fifth grade through senior year..I wish I was lucky enough not to have it haha, although I do love reading it never really enjoyed reading the books I had to for school.

did you never have to do summer reading?! I had it every year from fifth grade through senior year..I wish I was lucky enough not to have it haha, although I do love reading it never really enjoyed reading the books I had to for school.

No, it's never been required for me to read over summer! Summer is your break off of school, they shouldn't make you do homework!

Back