Summit Bid J5 Question...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 17, 2015
I can't find any info on NCA/Varsity sites.. I heard that J5's are only eligible for an at large bids in Dallas. Is that true? Something about J5's being able to do world's level skills?? It didn't make much sense to me. Also do they compete against all 5's for bids.. Youth 5 and Junior 5 or are they also lumped together with all the Restricted 5's when trying to get a bid? Any info or answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Thanks.. I've seen this but it doesn't say anything specific about the true level 5's versus restricted 5's and how NCA is viewing that and awarding bids. Is Y5/J5 seperate from R5? I was reading something on the fierce boards about Y5's only being eligible for AL's vs paid at a recent comp and am now wondering if there is some fine/secret print saying something to the same extent for Dallas and when a coach recently said he'd heard the same..nerves started. Would hate for the team to learn this bit of info at comp only to be deeply disappointed. Thanks again!

Well, with five paid bids and the declaration saying each level gets one, I'd guess y5, j5, and R5 would be the level 5s.

Well, with five paid bids and the declaration saying each level gets one, I'd guess y5, j5, and R5 would be the level 5s.

That's what I would assume to but that is not what I'm hearing and if R5 is included our chances just got a whole lot smaller!! Technically R5 and 5 are not the same level and the skill set is truly different. BUT I think 4.2 gets lumped with 4 so maybe you are right. If anyone has any very specific info about the J5's Y5's and being eligible for paid bids please let me know! Our gym will not go if the bid is not paid. Thanks!

That's what I would assume to but that is not what I'm hearing and if R5 is included our chances just got a whole lot smaller!! Technically R5 and 5 are not the same level and the skill set is truly different. BUT I think 4.2 gets lumped with 4 so maybe you are right. If anyone has any very specific info about the J5's Y5's and being eligible for paid bids please let me know! Our gym will not go if the bid is not paid. Thanks!
If they would split it then R5 and Y5 would be together because youth is restricted as well, but I'm fairly certain they are usually combined.

At NCA you can not cross levels, but you are allowed to cross from a 5 to an R5 so I am assuming they consider it the same level for bid purposes as well.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

There are rumblings about information coming down from Varsity this week about Y5. Some owners have already told their teams, from what I have seen on Twitter. Just hold tight and don't freak out yet.

And to answer your original question: J5 CAN get a paid bid. Our Junior Coed 5 got full paid earlier this year.

Which gym are you with?? We are trying to figure out who is going to come to summit of they get bids in Youth 5. CP wants a big, full division.

There are rumblings about information coming down from Varsity this week about Y5. Some owners have already told their teams, from what I have seen on Twitter. Just hold tight and don't freak out yet.

And to answer your original question: J5 CAN get a paid bid. Our Junior Coed 5 got full paid earlier this year.

Which gym are you with?? We are trying to figure out who is going to come to summit of they get bids in Youth 5. CP wants a big, full division.
LOL full meaning the handful of Y5 teams across the country. ;)

By NCA Nationals a lot of teams already have bids. If a team wins a bid that already has that bid then it gets passed down. And some gyms choose not to go to Summit. So, if they win their bids are also passed down. That makes it easier to get a bid.

Last edited:
I don't think "big, full division" and "Youth 5" go in the same sentence. I love divisions like youth 5 and mini 3 but they just are not popular and 9 times out of 10 the kids end up competing against no one. I also don't think (as much as people will disagree) that EP's consider Y5 a "true level 5 team". It's very apparent that the trend is Worlds=true level 5, any other "level 5"=restricted in some way

I don't think "big, full division" and "Youth 5" go in the same sentence. I love divisions like youth 5 and mini 3 but they just are not popular and 9 times out of 10 the kids end up competing against no one. I also don't think (as much as people will disagree) that EP's consider Y5 a "true level 5 team". It's very apparent that the trend is Worlds=true level 5, any other "level 5"=restricted in some way
:( I miss Mini 3 haha. Also Youth 5 does have even more restrictions in regards to skills than R5, but those little kids are amazing!

I think minis only go up to 2 now.

What the heck with the freaking snarky answers? Yes, my 10 ear old daughter wants ALL of the 8 Youth 5 teams to come to one comp. so what? For Youth 5, that is a big division. There are basically that many Large Senior teams competing anywhere, but I don't hear this crap about that division. "It's not popular" should probably be changed to "Its hard as hell to field a team", but does that mean EPs look down on it? These kids are amazing young talents, and to downplay their entire division is freaking insulting. We travel all over the place (highest comp and travel fees in our entire 10 gym company) to seek out competition... But you seem to imply that we enjoy going unopposed? What? Would you rather we take this Y5 team down to Y4? Then we get accused of sandbagging.

Bottom line: these kids compete in Youth 5 which has been restricted by the USASF, not by their abilities. My CP would have loved to have a shot at the unrestricted Y5 before they changed it, but she doesn't get to choose when she was born, either.

Yes, you hit a nerve.

Back