Switching Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is such a difficult situation. Social media aside, you would be amazed at how often gym owners talk to each other, even if there is bad blood between them. And if the gym owner doesn't say anything, a meddling parent will. I hate to say it, but it is likely the minute you step in to a new gym, even if it is just to pick up a brochure, your current gym will know. You have to be willing to take whatever "payback" there may be at your current gym if you have any communication with a new gym at any point before, during or after the tryout process.

This is exactly what I'm talking about!

This is my first post. I am having the same issues with our gym and wondering same as op. These responses are very helpful. Can you just go in and not disclose your current gym?
Of course you can. But cheer world is small (at least it is around me) and you never know who you are going to run into when you go. That being said, I hate that we all feel we need to sneak around in order not to be found out by the current gym. Even a kid at an open tumble at another gym gets people talking when they very well could just be there to tumble.

I think if you go. 1) Make sure daughter knows this is just to try and see options and it is not to be shared that she is switching etc. 2) Wear neutral clothes short and t-shirt of no gyms 3) Be polite but don't start oversharing. Talk to parents but no one needs to know you are considering switching at either gym 4) If it is asked by current gym only address with owner and coach and be honest "yes we tried a tumble class." not "Yes we tried a tumble class because we are debating switching"... your not be evasive but details don't need to be shared it is none of anyones business. This can be done drama free and you should not feel guilty for considering the options. You may go one or 2 times but you don't abandon current gym, you keep your CP focused on the current seasoned current gym, and teach her that it issuing secretive to not tell everyone all the details of your family and plans for activities. Basically as the parent it is your job to make even a possible transition smooth and tempering it all so CP doesn't go off the deep end either direction. Make sure she knows there are a lot of details about next year that are up in the air and you need to make an informed decision but right now making sure you like the atmosphere is step 1 but it means no more than that at this point.

I p
Im considering a switch for next year because I do not like the direction the new Ownership is taking our gym. What is the best way to see if a prospective new gym is a good fit?
I personally contacted a gym and asked them if I could come in for a tour and to be evaluated. They were so kind and told me about their program, and how they achieve success. They let me sit in on a teams practice to see how things were ran. They were very welcoming. It's important to get to know the staff and learn how they run things at the gym. Also, going to one of the gyms local competitions is a good idea, to see them in a performance setting. Good luck to you at your new gym!

I think if you go. 1) Make sure daughter knows this is just to try and see options and it is not to be shared that she is switching etc. 2) Wear neutral clothes short and t-shirt of no gyms 3) Be polite but don't start oversharing. Talk to parents but no one needs to know you are considering switching at either gym 4) If it is asked by current gym only address with owner and coach and be honest "yes we tried a tumble class." not "Yes we tried a tumble class because we are debating switching"... your not be evasive but details don't need to be shared it is none of anyones business. This can be done drama free and you should not feel guilty for considering the options. You may go one or 2 times but you don't abandon current gym, you keep your CP focused on the current seasoned current gym, and teach her that it issuing secretive to not tell everyone all the details of your family and plans for activities. Basically as the parent it is your job to make even a possible transition smooth and tempering it all so CP doesn't go off the deep end either direction. Make sure she knows there are a lot of details about next year that are up in the air and you need to make an informed decision but right now making sure you like the atmosphere is step 1 but it means no more than that at this point.

I agree with this, but I don't think you should have to be so secretive about it. No matter what there will probably be drama. I understand it's the parents job to keep the child safe emotionally during the transition, but being so secretive about it isn't always the best. Don't tell a bunch of information, but if asked don't withhold it....just my opinion from my own experience.

Thanks for the advice...I am happy I finally came out of hiding and joined this board. I took the first step and called. They were very friendly and said we could come for an update workout or set up a private meeting. They also said they do have a no cut policy which makes me feel better...one concern I had would be to leave our current gym and not make another. That probably sounds silly but I guess it is a security thing.

So...next question, does anyone have general thoughts comparing smaller gyms with large?

Thanks for the advice...I am happy I finally came out of hiding and joined this board. I took the first step and called. They were very friendly and said we could come for an update workout or set up a private meeting. They also said they do have a no cut policy which makes me feel better...one concern I had would be to leave our current gym and not make another. That probably sounds silly but I guess it is a security thing.

So...next question, does anyone have general thoughts comparing smaller gyms with large?

sorry...should have said an open workout, not update workout...

I agree with this, but I don't think you should have to be so secretive about it. No matter what there will probably be drama. I understand it's the parents job to keep the child safe emotionally during the transition, but being so secretive about it isn't always the best. Don't tell a bunch of information, but if asked don't withhold it....just my opinion from my own experience.

Im not saying secretive. I'm saying don't walk around saying we are from so and so gym and just looking at this one (which I have seen far too often) or sit in your own gym and tell friend x,y,and z your trying tumbling here and wouldn't they like to try tumbling there. Or you'll have the little girl prance out to practice saying Im going here now and get in the mindset that this season is already over when it is not. I've seen far too much drama started because of a parents own actions and then they are looking back trying to figure out why the coaches and owners of the current situation aren't happy and it is because they are creating their own little firestorm. If you aren't sure your switching trying it out without broadcasting where you are from and keeping it just about trying a tumble class and not oversharing is being smart and not being secretive and also keeps kids from getting to entwined in a decision prior to it being needed.

Im not saying secretive. I'm saying don't walk around saying we are from so and so gym and just looking at this one (which I have seen far too often) or sit in your own gym and tell friend x,y,and z your trying tumbling here and wouldn't they like to try tumbling there. Or you'll have the little girl prance out to practice saying Im going here now and get in the mindset that this season is already over when it is not. I've seen far too much drama started because of a parents own actions and then they are looking back trying to figure out why the coaches and owners of the current situation aren't happy and it is because they are creating their own little firestorm. If you aren't sure your switching trying it out without broadcasting where you are from and keeping it just about trying a tumble class and not oversharing is being smart and not being secretive and also keeps kids from getting to entwined in a decision prior to it being needed.
That's totally understandable.

Most gyms are no-cut, as in they try to place all kids on some sort of team.

No cut doesn't necessarily mean your child is going to be placed on their desired team or on the level you think they should be at.

I say that to say that at times, things can (intentionally or unintentionally) be made to sound like "Oh your child is definitely going to be on X or Y team/level." Then when you officially join said gym, it's a different story.

We loved being part of a small gym and we loved being part of a big gym (We loved the medium one too!) There are pros and cons at any program it really boils down to what YOU (as a family) are looking for. What are your child's (not yours ;) ) feelings about cheer? Does she/he just want to have fun with friends right now or is she/he uber competitive and plans to make that worlds team at 12? The answers may change day to day month to month.
It was hard when we left programs to go to another (it happened more than once and one time is was a huge mistake too) Listen to the coach/owner spiel and try to talk to parents out front (coming/going or at comps) too. No place is perfect but you will get a better sense of what works best for your child and your family.

Most gyms are no-cut, as in they try to place all kids on some sort of team.

I guess...but hearing it made me feel better! Our gym is so disorganized: competition schedule constantly changing is probably my biggest issue because it is so expensive when that happens, but coaches are leaving mid-season, kids leaving, practicing all different times, etc. Just seems as if the wheels are coming off and I feel better knowing that we can speak up for ourselves because we can go somewhere else.

Our gym used to be better/slightly larger when we first joined; this is our third year. This year, most girls are crossing over because otherwise it would be difficult to field many teams. So dd is "forced" to cross, though it is so many extra hours! We truly don't have grand expectations as to level, but I think one team would be best. Our current gym is so close by and my dd is happy, but as a mom I know it is too many hours and extra $$ due to last minute changes so I am torn.

I guess...but hearing it made me feel better! Our gym is so disorganized: competition schedule constantly changing is probably my biggest issue because it is so expensive when that happens, but coaches are leaving mid-season, kids leaving, practicing all different times, etc. Just seems as if the wheels are coming off and I feel better knowing that we can speak up for ourselves because we can go somewhere else.

Our gym used to be better/slightly larger when we first joined; this is our third year. This year, most girls are crossing over because otherwise it would be difficult to field many teams. So dd is "forced" to cross, though it is so many extra hours! We truly don't have grand expectations as to level, but I think one team would be best. Our current gym is so close by and my dd is happy, but as a mom I know it is too many hours and extra $$ due to last minute changes so I am torn.
Can you just choose to do one team or is that not an option? At your first gym I think by my oldest's second year most kids were doing two teams. I never let current cp do more than one team there and our final two years there I didn't let my oldest either, and they definitely did not appreciate that, but too bad too sad. At current gym, doing more than one team is optional but your age appropriate team is your placement if that is what you wish. Cp did one team her first season there, two teams the following two seasons and now is only on a senior team. No hard feelings if you only chose to do one, although many do two.

Back