OT Teaching A Lesson

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 29, 2010
On Friday, I am teaching a lesson about the alphabet to a Special Needs classoom through an internship I do through my high school. I am struggling with ideas. Thier skill level ranges from prek-3rd grade. So far, I thought about giving them each a letter to color and cut out and then I would divide them into groups and then I would have them each come to the board and have them spell a word with their group's letters. I usually don't have much trouble with coming up with lessons but I am struggling a lot with this one. Does my lesson seem like a fun activity? Does anybody have any fun games or activities? What are ways I can improve my lesson? Please and thank you!

Instead of coloring in the letter, have them draw pictures of (or write) words that begin with that letter sound. You can go around and check as they're working and that way the word that they put up is correct (nothing worse than going to the board and making a mistake). You could have this be part of a word wall, they can add their word to the word wall. (Google elementary word walls for pictures of word walls).

That's OK, just wanted to make sure you went back and saw what I added. Good luck! :)

That's OK, just wanted to make sure you went back and saw what I added. Good luck! :)
I took your idea and added some to it! I decided to make up some worksheets that say; My letter is, A word that starts with my letter is, A picture of my word (with a box for their picture). I am assigning them each a letter when I get to class based on what I already know about their abilities. After they are all done with their worksheet, we are going to play a game of hangman with the word they chose for their letter. After the class guesses the word, they will show the class their picture. Hopefully they enoy it! Thank you for your help:)

Back