All-Star Team Punishment?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So basically what you are saying is if it is something that they are capable of doing then team punishment makes sense. However, if it is something they are capable of doing then don't use team punishment. Is that correct?

No. I don't agree with team punishment at all but my previous post was my only original addition, everything else I disagree with about it had already been covered by other posters.

If an individual is being disrespectful or disruptive, then any punishment should be administered just to them in my opinion. And even then I would only use punishment as a last resort. Discussion and addressing a problem goes a lot further than running round the mat.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

If one group is consistently dropping I sincerely doubt it's because they're deliberately defying you and want to make everyone condition. It seems, to me, an infinitely better resolution to get in there and actually COACH; find the problem then correct the problem rather than just punish the entire team. They may need it explaining in a different way, they may be struggling with the counts or they may just not have the strength needed to fill that position and need to be moved.

There are plenty of situations I have seen with my team and many other teams that I have not coached where stunts don't hit because athletes are not trying. Generally some type of punishment or reward gets them to hit the stunts. Now all of these coaches in these situations are quality coaches and are not asking their athletes to do something can not do. In most situations if you are asking an athlete to do something they can not do and you punish them for not performing you are simply just setting them up for failure and are not a quality coach in my opinion.

Why does this thread still exist? The OP asked for thoughts and feedback, refused to listen to any of the thoughts or feedback because it wasn't grounded in peer-reviewed "factual" academic research and cited in APA 6th Ed. (Which you can find that research to support just about everything if you look hard enough).

I'm pretty sure I've spend my whole life working with adolescent and teenage kids but years of experience and a doctorate in the field are inadequate. That's fine,

So ill leave the thread with this...

FACT: team punishment destroyed what used to be a quality relationship between my kids, their coaches, their program and half the members of their team.

FACT: its not the primary reason we left the program, but its the only reason that my kids have not yet forgotten....nor ever will, I imagine (12stepcheermom, 2013).

There are plenty of situations I have seen with my team and many other teams that I have not coached where stunts don't hit because athletes are not trying. Generally some type of punishment or reward gets them to hit the stunts. Now all of these coaches in these situations are quality coaches and are not asking their athletes to do something can not do. In most situations if you are asking an athlete to do something they can not do and you punish them for not performing you are simply just setting them up for failure and are not a quality coach in my opinion.

I think that's a cheap shot and you're trying to get a rise out of me.

Athletes often find themselves in a situation where they are struggling to do what their coach expects especially at the beginning of the season. If a coach never asked their athletes to attempt new, harder things then we'd all be sat at level 1. Either they step up, put in the extra time at the gym and hit, or they need to be moved or the stunt needs to be changed.

Perhaps because I don't regularly punish my athletes they are more willing to be open with me and let me know when they're struggling, so more often than not we resolve that as a team one way or another. Mostly they just need to revise the technique and a confidence boost, which rewards, praise and a positive environment satisfy.

Last year I had a "mental block". It was the positive reinforcement of encouraging friends/bases which was key to progressing. Definitely not the humiliation tactics employed by my coach at the time.

Why does this thread still exist? The OP asked for thoughts and feedback, refused to listen to any of the thoughts or feedback because it wasn't grounded in peer-reviewed "factual" academic research and cited in APA 6th Ed. (Which you can find that research to support just about everything if you look hard enough).

I'm pretty sure I've spend my whole life working with adolescent and teenage kids but years of experience and a doctorate in the field are inadequate. That's fine,

So ill leave the thread with this...

FACT: team punishment destroyed what used to be a quality relationship between my kids, their coaches, their program and half the members of their team.

FACT: its not the primary reason we left the program, but its the only reason that my kids have not yet forgotten....nor ever will, I imagine (12stepcheermom, 2013).

Perfectly said. I'm out now too.

I think that's a cheap shot and you're trying to get a rise out of me.

Athletes often find themselves in a situation where they are struggling to do what their coach expects especially at the beginning of the season. If a coach never asked their athletes to attempt new, harder things then we'd all be sat at level 1. Either they step up, put in the extra time at the gym and hit, or they need to be moved or the stunt needs to be changed.

Perhaps because I don't regularly punish my athletes they are more willing to be open with me and let me know when they're struggling, so more often than not we resolve that as a team one way or another. Mostly they just need to revise the technique and a confidence boost, which rewards, praise and a positive environment satisfy.

Last year I had a "mental block". It was the positive reinforcement of encouraging friends/bases which was key to progressing. Definitely not the humiliation tactics employed by my coach at the time.

Sorry if it appeared to be a shot that is not what I was intending to do. And I agree humiliation is not the way to go. Basically all I was saying is that if you are punishing an athlete it should not be for something that they cannot perform. You should only be asking them to do something that they are capable of doing if punishment will be following.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but have you ever actually been in the classroom, or just had the education classes? I am a veteran high school teacher and can tell you that a lot of what you are saying is classic classroom management straight from the books and falls 100% flat in high school. It all looks great on paper and like it SHOULD work well. much of it is geared toward small children however, and doesn't take into account the fact that you are dealing with hormonal almost adults. Dollar bin trinkets don't work once they are over about 10. Positive reinforcement can work, but you have to be much more subtle about it. If they pick up on what you are doing it is all over.

I just completed my student teaching semester for my K-8 certification, which is probably why the methods worked. I was in a first grade classroom.

I'll be returning in the fall for my 9-12 student teaching semester, so I'm sure classroom management will be different. I've been around the block a few times in the high school cheer circuit and was simply offering advice based on my experiences with coaching and camp staff. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to keep it in mind this semester!

In general I understand what you are saying about behavioral conformity but I am not sure exactly what all falls under that. Obviously things such as disrespect or messing around is a behavior issue. Would you consider being tardy to practice or not showing up to practice a behavior issue?
Depends on the reasons why they are tardy or not showing up at all. Most likely I would treat this on an individual basis but have been known to implement a policy where the team would do additional conditioning for every minute beyond the start of practice the last person made it. This was only kids were at the facility in plenty of time to be ready but instead sent the time socializing or playing around. On the flip side I have also rewarded those being ready to go on time and not rewarded those that were late. It really depended on the mentality of the team and what would work best. Sometime team punishment can work but at the same time if not used properly it can tear a team apart and leave the kids feeling alienated by their coaches.

@stuntaholic, if you do not mind me asking can you tell me how long you have been coaching, how long the other coach has been at this and if they are roughly same age as you or considerably older? Purely a curiosity question on my part given the different stances you and the other coach have on this topic. If you do not want to answer that is fine.

I just completed my student teaching semester for my K-8 certification, which is probably why the methods worked. I was in a first grade classroom.

I'll be returning in the fall for my 9-12 student teaching semester, so I'm sure classroom management will be different. I've been around the block a few times in the high school cheer circuit and was simply offering advice based on my experiences with coaching and camp staff. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to keep it in mind this semester!
Yea, first graders will perform for a sticker, high schoolers not so much. As a PP said, it is all about relationships and being genuine with them. I have watched student teachers come in with sticker charts and treasure boxes many times and get eaten for lunch because they made no attempt to meet kids where they are and have a real relationship, despite veteran teachers telling them it won't work. They had the "but the book said..." attitude, but didn't realize that tee agers didn't read the book that said they are supposed to work for stickers. They know that stuff is classic first grade and will teat it as such. It is good that you are going I with an open mind.

Sorry if it appeared to be a shot that is not what I was intending to do. And I agree humiliation is not the way to go. Basically all I was saying is that if you are punishing an athlete it should not be for something that they cannot perform. You should only be asking them to do something that they are capable of doing if punishment will be following.
ITA, and this is something I don't think CPs coaches fully realized last year. She and her stunt group did hundreds of Burpees over a stunt sequence they were not physically capable of hitting for weeks until the coaches finally decided it wasn't possible for them and changed it. They had a tall flyer and short bases, and because of the flyers leg length, the transition they wanted wasn't physically possible. It really hurt CPs relationship with her coaches. She lost a lt of trust in them, and the fact that they wouldn't ask her for the impossible.

@stuntaholic, if you do not mind me asking can you tell me how long you have been coaching, how long the other coach has been at this and if they are roughly same age as you or considerably older? Purely a curiosity question on my part given the different stances you and the other coach have on this topic. If you do not want to answer that is fine.

I will be entering my 5th year coaching and the other coach has been coaching upwards of 10 years. I am in my 20s and the other coach is in their late 40s.

I will be entering my 5th year coaching and the other coach has been coaching upwards of 10 years. I am in my 20s and the other coach is in their late 40s.
Thank you. Where I was going with this is just an observation on my part and no scientific data or research to support it, but I have typically found that the younger and newer the coach the more likely team punishment is promoted as compared to an older more experienced person. There are obviously exceptions to this but as i said it is my observation.

Thank you. Where I was going with this is just an observation on my part and no scientific data or research to support it, but I have typically found that the younger and newer the coach the more likely team punishment is promoted as compared to an older more experienced person. There are obviously exceptions to this but as i said it is my observation.

That is interesting I will have to pay attention to that a little more to see if that is the case in my experience. I have had team punishment in all of my team sports the whole time I was growing up but I never paid attention to the age or experience of the coach.

I am confused. Please bear with me. How does making an athlete who is struggling more exhausted by punishing them by running each time they mess up improve their skills and performance? I thought the more tired you are, the more likely you are to make mistakes? Doesn't this just create a vicious cycle?
could NOT agree more. why can't some coaches understand this?

Back