All-Star Teams Only Going To Worlds On Paid Bids

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 27, 2013
Sorry if I'm 'behind the times' or if I just missed a thread explaining this, but I was hoping someone could explain why teams do this? I've been seeing this more and more and I just don't get it, like if I had a shot to go to worlds, oh my god I'd take it in a heartbeat... So why do teams decide not to go when the have the opportunity to? Wouldn't it hurt the athletes? Isn't it basically saying "yeah you guys were good enough to go to worlds, but not good enough to get the paid so we're just going to stop caring here"?

Just something I don't really understand...

Some gyms feel that if they can't get a paid bid then they are less likely to do well, this is more common for the big name gyms whose teams get paid bids year after year. For others it's probably just the expense.

Other than the reason for the expenses, which I can understand, but not going because they don't think they will place well is REALLY bad sportsmanship... JMO..

However, at the end of the day, this industry is a business to many, so it makes sense why gyms do that.

Other than the reason for the expenses, which I can understand, but not going because they don't think they will place well is REALLY bad sportsmanship... JMO..

However, at the end of the day, this industry is a business to many, so it makes sense why gyms do that.
My guess is the not going because they won't place well also involves the money aspect. Some people believe in going for the experience no matter how they place. Others maybe don't want to shell out a ton of money when they know they aren't likely to fare well. That's not bad sportsmanship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is the not going because they won't place well also involves the money aspect. Some people believe in going for the experience no matter how they place. Others maybe don't want to shell out a ton of money when they know they aren't likely to fare well. That's not bad sportsmanship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I agree with that... i should've been more specific. I meant in the instance that a gym doesn't want to go NOT because of finances, but solely because they want to keep a good image for their program & the kids have to miss out on worlds because of that.

Yes I agree with that... i should've been more specific. I meant in the instance that a gym doesn't want to go NOT because of finances, but solely because they want to keep a good image for their program & the kids have to miss out on worlds because of that.
I don't think it's an image thing. Many successful gyms feel that it's not worth spending the thousands (yes, thousands) of dollars to go to Worlds. For teams like Cali, Cheer Athletics, etc., the trip to Orlando is pricey, even if they do get a paid bid. I don't think it's unreasonable to refuse to spend that much money for an "experience." If you don't have the skills to make at least top ten, that's what Worlds is. The top-tier gyms don't go to Worlds just to say they went to Worlds. They go to win.

Sorry if I'm 'behind the times' or if I just missed a thread explaining this, but I was hoping someone could explain why teams do this? I've been seeing this more and more and I just don't get it, like if I had a shot to go to worlds, oh my god I'd take it in a heartbeat... So why do teams decide not to go when the have the opportunity to? Wouldn't it hurt the athletes? Isn't it basically saying "yeah you guys were good enough to go to worlds, but not good enough to get the paid so we're just going to stop caring here"?

Just something I don't really understand...

There are great things about Worlds, but it isn't necessarily the ultimate event in the universe. At the end of the day, it is just another competition with a big title. We will take teams on an at-large, but I can understand other programs' hesitancy.

Too bad for us Canadian cheerleaders, we don't get the chance to get a full paid bid, so even super amazing teams like great whites or ice Queen's have to go to world's on a partial paid bid.

Same for British cheerleaders and I have to say the teams going are looking so good this year I really hope we get a top ten placing

As many people say it really depends if they want to be competitive in their division or go for the experience along with the travel costs. The UK is quite lucky because worlds bids are handed out the season before (unity ruby and black have already got bids for 2016 worlds) as all but one bid comp are after worlds. It means they have more time to sort out finances.

Our team only goes on paid bids which really don't cover the cost.
Our team travels extensively and has already competed against the same teams we will see at Worlds.
We would not even consider going without a paid.

this was the case with Cali Bangerz this year. a lot of the boys were not going to be able to pay for worlds this late in the season on an AL Bid, so a handful of girls from bangerz will be commuting to Arizona to compete at worlds with Cali Sparkle this season!

Back