• Spice it up with a little Show!!

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Duh... Cheerleading is the Theme!

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Don't really care...

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
Oct 12, 2011
Ok so this might be a bit lame and I'm not sure if it happens often in the US however there's been a lot of themes happening at Cheer Comps recently I guess trying to make it more fun...
Money is wasted and spent on lame decorations and merchandise... As if a Cheerleading competition isn't expensive enough it would be nice to know that the money goes to a good cause!
Personally I think Cheerleading is the Theme and they should be spending the money on useful things for a competition.

What do you think?

I think it depends! Some competitions the themes are fun and make the cheerleaders feel special for example our last competition "encore in concord" it was set up like the grammys where during awards they would give special encore awards for best pyramid, best stunt, best choreography, best dance etc....and they would actually play back the winning teams video on the big screen so that made it exciting. However, the competitions who do those cheesy games in the middle or throw beads all over the place have to go! LOL....IMO ;)

i like how some competitions have little traditions idk if i would call it their theme. i know most jamfest comps in florida have the athletes walk up the center on a red carpet like they're celebrities. Then after they compete they sit in this v.i.p. area and watch the next team. I personally dont care if they have a theme i know that a lot of younger kids do get into it and if it woks it works! but i think the main focus should be the competition. and if the theme is overpowering that or if they spend more money on the atmosphere and have a crappy warm up area or bad lighting then it shouldn't be done i don't think.

I'm not on an all star team but for the competition my high school team puts on every year we pick a color and I guess theme the competition around that color. Like, this year it was pink. So the shirts we gave away had pink on them, the signs with the competition order was pink, and we used other little accents of pink around. I think that kind of theme works well for smaller competitions. It adds a little extra something, and its not super expensive and doesn't look tacky:)

There are a couple of competition companies in the US that have "themed competitions". They seem to usually just reuse their decorations from year to year however, so while there is a big initial cost for the event producers, it lessens over time. Some examples over here of competitions that do that are American Cheer Power, Spirit Celebration, and All Star Challenge. There are themes such as Halloween, Christmas/Winter, USA/ Patriotic, Jungle, Ocean, Circus, 1950's etc....

Here's the Cheer Power Competition Video link if you want to see the limited but festive decorations....
Free Cheerleading Competition Video on Demand from American Cheer Power

Here's an example of Spirit Celebration, who gets a bit more involved (this was christmas themed, but they also do a pretty big Mardi Gras themed regional with worlds bids:

LMA4Life. said:
i like how some competitions have little traditions idk if i would call it their theme. i know most jamfest comps in florida have the athletes walk up the center on a red carpet like they're celebrities. Then after they compete they sit in this v.i.p. area and watch the next team. I personally dont care if they have a theme i know that a lot of younger kids do get into it and if it woks it works! but i think the main focus should be the competition. and if the theme is overpowering that or if they spend more money on the atmosphere and have a crappy warm up area or bad lighting then it shouldn't be done i don't think.

That sounds like "LIVE!" Which is a jam brands event.

I think at some competitions themes can be fun. But at some the "theme" is taken too far and begins to take over the whole competition and the actual cheerleading is no longer the focus

I think it depends! Some competitions the themes are fun and make the cheerleaders feel special for example our last competition "encore in concord" it was set up like the grammys where during awards they would give special encore awards for best pyramid, best stunt, best choreography, best dance etc....and they would actually play back the winning teams video on the big screen so that made it exciting. However, the competitions who do those cheesy games in the middle or throw beads all over the place have to go! LOL....IMO ;)

Well see that doesn't sound too bad (actually sounds pretty awesome)... does it happen every year? if so that's fine I was kinda going for companies that change it every time...

I understand the already decked themes, like "Christmas Classic" Or "Winter fest" because that's not focusing on the theme we know what it is and its ok because the decorations will just be reused the next comp... I was more going along the lines of the companies that change it every year and comp... and yes it can be fun especially for the little kids, but at times I just feel when your cheer floor has to be held together during a performance by crew members (True story) or when you can tell way to much has gone into something that is only happening once i seems a waste and a lack of judgement and management... could be me, but you all have very valid points. :)

Back