OT Things You Think Every Young Adult Should Know?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
LOL this is why I have AAA. I accept that I can't, and just pay someone to take care of it for me. I'm lazy.
I can pick up just about anything pretty easily except when it comes to cars. My brain just stops. I make sure I budget for AAA and getting my snow tires switched out every year because I just cant understand anything about vehicles. Its the only "life skill" Im really not interested in learning anything about and I'm ok with that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1. How to conduct yourself appropriately on social media, including the awareness that employers can and do view your accounts when considering hiring you...

2. Cooking skills, including a solid repertoire of cheap, healthy meals.

3. First aid – there are a lot of great inexpensive courses to get a basic introductory certification in CPR. This includes mental health first aid, which is so important for college kids! How to recognize and respond to signs of mental illness and substance abuse, in yourself and others.

4. How to put together a great resume and cover letter, how to interview well, and how to network.

5. Basic home maintenance and practical skills. My dad is a big believer in this, and has taught me woodwork, sewing, knitting, changing lightbulbs, changing tires, jump-starting cars, house painting, hanging pictures, checking the smoke detectors...

6. Insurance, taxes, credit cards, investing, 401K, all those other delightful things they should teach about in school but usually don't.

7. How to deal with failure! At my school, we had a panel of people come to talk to us who hadn't made it the first time around in their field. They had been laid off, or not gotten into college or grad school, or made mistakes, but had taken slightly nontraditional routes and made it in the end. I remember being fascinated and inspired that things don't always go your way but there are ways to get there. It's a sentiment that motivated, high-achieving college students aren't always familiar with...

Sorry this is late, but thank you all for the responses! This has been incredibly helpful and I'm really looking forward to facilitating a lot of these topics!

The best thing my chapter ever did was bring in someone to give us a workshop about sexual assault. I don't know if that was the angle you were going for, but to this day Im thankful my sisters decided to prioritize an event like that.

We had this at my sorority as well. A police officer came in and taught us simple self-defense moves to allow us to get away as fast as possible in the event that something happens. And a bunch of tips on how to not be put in those situations and what to do if you've been sexually assualted. The self-defense part was the most helpful though

Back