All-Star Thoughts on Jada's recent post

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
Jada Wooten from "Cheer" Netflix show was supposed to represent Rebel at different events such as NCA & Cheersport.
She posted a letter she received from Rebel. To sum it up they are no longer interested in her representing their brand due to her language, cussing, etc. Any opinions or thoughts? Personally, I question how others have been allowed to represent Rebel such as Lexi. I like Lexi. To me, she is a young adult who made some mistakes. Lexi went to Raves (did I spell that right), vaped, got caught with marijuana, arrested, etc. But, Jada is released due to cussing. It feels like it's a double standard. Why is one held to a higher standard, when others aren't. I know many great people who work at Rebel, but this doesn't sit right with me.

I know Rebel isn’t talking about “what about the children???” while simultaneously peddling apparel using children posing in sports bras online for thousands of followers within in an industry that continues to employ and protect pedophiles.

I wanted to add, I don't think raves or cussing are bad. Just not appropriate for kids. These are young adults on a show rated mature.

Last edited:
From the article <click here>:
“I won’t ‘clean up my language’ to appease them in order to fit in. Because you know what? It never stops there. There will always be one more ‘too much”’ More chipping away at who I am when trying to belong where I’m not meant to be.”

The difference is Lexi is portrayed as the girl with a hard background, trying to better herself, still makes mistakes, but keeps trying. Jada on the other hand is saying, "No, that's me and I'm not changing."

I don't think anything is wrong with what she said, but I also, don't fault Rebel for saying "this isn't a good fit." Businesses know they can work with people "trying," but those that flat out say "no" aren't worth trying to change their mind.

From the article <click here>:
“I won’t ‘clean up my language’ to appease them in order to fit in. Because you know what? It never stops there. There will always be one more ‘too much”’ More chipping away at who I am when trying to belong where I’m not meant to be.”

The difference is Lexi is portrayed as the girl with a hard background, trying to better herself, still makes mistakes, but keeps trying. Jada on the other hand is saying, "No, that's me and I'm not changing."

I don't think anything is wrong with what she said, but I also, don't fault Rebel for saying "this isn't a good fit." Businesses know they can work with people "trying," but those that flat out say "no" aren't worth trying to change their mind.
I could be wrong, but I believe that her reply was after they rejected her. Rejection can definitely influence people’s reactions.

*Adding, about a week ago Jada helped at the Sam Houston Cheer Clinic. She was very appropriate. Not even one small cuss word. Definitely, a difference between language used around adults v. youth.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I believe that her reply was after they rejected her. Rejection can definitely influence people’s reactions.

*Adding, about a week ago Jada helped at the Sam Houston Cheer Clinic. She was very appropriate. Not even one small cuss word. Definitely, a difference between language used around adults v. youth.

I have no doubt she uses discretion. With that said, an edited portrayal of someone on TV often becomes the warped reality for those watching.

Unfortunately, TVCC did not come close to having the same screen time as Navarro in Series 1. Series 2 was about Jerry, LaDarius and switching back and forth among the two teams. TVCC athletes only got short snippets, and unfortunately, Jada got edited as the passionate, trucker mouthed cheerleader with nothing else to relate to. Lexi had a lot of backstory and most people can identify with "we are all a work in progress and there's often sad consequences for our actions." I'm sad TVCC didn't get a season to themselves, I truly believe Jada's situation would have been different if they had gotten more time. Reality TV is hardly reality.

If it was about language one of the main athletes portrayed on the show wouldn't be one of the most promoted by Rebel right now. It's not about her language. I don't know what Rebel's reasoning is and I'm sure there are two sides to the story, but if in fact that reasoning is in writing anywhere then Rebel could have a discrimination suit on their hands.

I believe it is. I wondered about that too.

"You use too much foul language"

Last edited:
If Rebel did actually face a lawsuit over this, I imagine they would swiftly respond that "people who use foul language" is not a protected class under Title VII. You can fire one person for using foul language but not fire the other person who uses foul language because you don't feel like it or because you think they are better at modeling, or because moms really want them to take pictures with their kids.

From Yahoo article <click here>:

In a statement shared with Vulture, Rebel Athletic said that due “to [Wooten’s] choice of words in Cheer season 2, and our median audience being 8 to 10 years old, we asked her to sit out 3 meet and greet events that would attract a younger audience.”

They claimed to have offered Wooten “other opportunities,” but that she instead “asked to terminate her relationship with Rebel in its entirety”

rebel thinking all college age athletes are perfect angels, that dont cuss, etc. LOL i have to laugh with how completely out of touch rebel possibly is to how typical college kids act. Is it possibly that everyone at navarro never spoke a cuss word on camera during season one, or is it possible that it was low enough for it to be edited out....
also could be the possible bad publicity that they promoted jerry (did they promote him and his image tho?? before the allegations were known) and are now trying to save as much face as humanly possible.

rebel thinking all college age athletes are perfect angels, that dont cuss, etc. LOL i have to laugh with how completely out of touch rebel possibly is to how typical college kids act. Is it possibly that everyone at navarro never spoke a cuss word on camera during season one, or is it possible that it was low enough for it to be edited out....
also could be the possible bad publicity that they promoted jerry (did they promote him and his image tho?? before the allegations were known) and are now trying to save as much face as humanly possible.
Great point--I bet they definitely have their radar up now. Not sure about Jerry collaborating with Rebel, but a former Rebel feature model Robert Scianna was also unfortunately arrested shortly after Jerry. He wasn't on Navarro but he appeared briefly on a Cheer episode doing a Rebel photoshoot with Gabi, and a lot of the news coverage at the time literally had "Rebel Athletic" in the article to contextualize Robert's appearance on the show. I bet Rebel PR/legal is working overtime right now.

"Scianna, 25, briefly appeared on Netflix's Cheer. He was shown in the fourth episode with Gabi Butler while they both were in a photoshoot for Rebel Athletic. Netflix had no comment when reached by PEOPLE Friday."

My daughter met Jada at cheersport when she wasn’t at the meet and greet. She was sweet and took a few minutes to talk to my daughter. We also saw her when she was doing the meet and greet with varsity. The line never stopped.

Back