Tips For A Bad Mental Block?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 20, 2012
Does anyone have any tips to help over come a really bad mental block? I've been working on my full for almost a year and I did it by myself 10 or 11 times and now I'm scared to death of them! Please help. Please comment any tips!

There are a LOT of threads about this. Just search for it and you'll find hundreds of tips. Possibly thousands.

I've used to get bad mental blocks all the time. The only way to really get over it is to just make yourself throw it. Get your coach to spot you a couple times, then ask them to just stand there while you do it yourself so you feel safer.

sometimes, if you do it to old cheer music, and if you play the music loud enough, you won't be able to really hear yourself think, "I can't do it" and you just sort of, do it! haha. Well that worked for me. But I don't have a full, it was on a different tumbling skill. But I hope that helps! Or just do motions before you tumble so you don't have time to think about the skill. You only have time to think about the motions!

just do it. i know it's not as easy to do as it is to say, but that's what you really have to do. you have to completely ignore it and just throw it. or have someone lightly spot you for one first, then go for it. be confident in yourself. if you have the ability, then you'll be fine. you just have to trust yourself.

I never believed in mental blocks till i got one. You just have to try and forget. At night, put on headphones and play your cheer music. During all the tumbling parts, imagine yourself actually doing it. Do it over and over. Also watch old videos of yourself tumbling. If you could do it then, you can do it now. Just dont stress over it! Your tumbling will evintually come back!:)

Remember it's a feeling, not a thought! Your body knows how to do it, so as long as your brain lets your body do it, you will :) It's really hard but you just have to throw it without thinking about it

*Make sure you hit the layout first, and then twist. wrap around with your arms, and pull with everything (shoulders, arms, hips, and definitely look with your head). Dont arch- Stay in a hollow body.

Be confident! I know that's super hard to do with mental blocks (been there) but until your confident with yourself you won't go anywhere. Trust me, it took me three years to figure that one out...

If you freak out or do something weird in the middle of your pass just shake it off. It was just a fluke, you'll kill the next one. Positive outcomes only<3

Does anyone have any tips to help over come a really bad mental block? I've been working on my full for almost a year and I did it by myself 10 or 11 times and now I'm scared to death of them! Please help. Please comment any tips!
pretend to be cocky :)

I used to not believe in mental blocks at all! I had my full and then one day i just lost it. I was scared to death to throw it. I wouldn't even throw it with a spot. When i was tired of being scared I just threw it. Don't think about and imagine yourself throwing it. Tell yourself you can do it! :)

Back