Tips For Short Backspots

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 11, 2015
I'm going into my senior year and my coach has switched me from a base to a backspot. I backspotted on my team my freshman year, but I was on a different team with girls who were shorter than me basing. I know basic technique (it's also been a few years, so some of that has to come back to me) and I know I should grab ankles, and my flyer has proven to be comfortable with that, but I want any tips from coaches or backspots themselves that can help me. I want to make this season great. Thank you.

Get up on your tiptoes, as high as you can. If you can't reach ankles, go for holding the wrists of your bases. I believe you can't be under the foot though, but someone else might clarify that better. It's been a long time since I couldn't reach, so things might have changed. If possible, perhaps your bases could stand with legs a bit wider so as to have them be a bit shorter.

Get up on your tiptoes, as high as you can. If you can't reach ankles, go for holding the wrists of your bases. I believe you can't be under the foot though, but someone else might clarify that better. It's been a long time since I couldn't reach, so things might have changed. If possible, perhaps your bases could stand with legs a bit wider so as to have them be a bit shorter.
Thank you! I think I'll try asking my bases to go a bit lower. Our flyer is like 5'8 so it wouldn't even effect the look of the stunt.

I'm like 5'4"/5" and my bases were always the same.
I always grabbed really low on the ankle- obvs bc I couldn't really reach lol- but right underneath the little ball of your ankle is where I'd put my thumb. My flyer had awful ankles and loved when I grabbed there so it was a win win.
For release skills ( like tick ups or whatever) I caught the ankle with whichever hand could reach and would sort of catch the heel with the remaining hand and adjust once everything was all settled.
Never get under the stunt. It's so tempting because you can reach better, but you could get a penalty! Same with standing on your toes. Where I cheered back spots had to have one foot flat on the ground at all times or you could be penalized (and I was hahah oops). For a little extra length make sure youre shrugging through your shoulders to be as tall as you can.
These are all of the tips I can think of right now but they help a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never struggled with reaching the ankles of my flyers, I'm slightly over five feet, and I backed with much much taller bases, if you struggle to reach ask your bases to squat more. Do what works for the group

Your flyer is 5'8?? How tall are you and the bases? I'm 5'2 and all I've ever done is base. I have tried backing a few times though, and as I am the third shortest person on my team I always had to tell the bases to go lower, so either stand with feet further apart or squat a bit. My side base this season was probably a good 2" taller than me, and whenever we were in extension she would bend her front leg(as we walked in with one leg further), to compensate the height, other than that she just stood further apart and made sure to keep her shoulders lowered. I would say this would be the best option for you, as you can't really grow taller but they can get lower. Hope it works out!

I have never struggled with reaching the ankles of my flyers, I'm slightly over five feet, and I backed with much much taller bases, if you struggle to reach ask your bases to squat more. Do what works for the group
Thank you!

Your flyer is 5'8?? How tall are you and the bases? I'm 5'2 and all I've ever done is base. I have tried backing a few times though, and as I am the third shortest person on my team I always had to tell the bases to go lower, so either stand with feet further apart or squat a bit. My side base this season was probably a good 2" taller than me, and whenever we were in extension she would bend her front leg(as we walked in with one leg further), to compensate the height, other than that she just stood further apart and made sure to keep her shoulders lowered. I would say this would be the best option for you, as you can't really grow taller but they can get lower. Hope it works out!
I am about 5'4, my side base is 5'5 and my main base is 5'6. I will be asking for them to squat at our next practice and hopefully this helps.

I am about 5'4, my side base is 5'5 and my main base is 5'6. I will be asking for them to squat at our next practice and hopefully this helps.

It'll be more stable if they widen their stance as opposed to just bending their legs! That way they are still able to dip/squat in cradles/tick tocks/or whatever else.

It'll be more stable if they widen their stance as opposed to just bending their legs! That way they are still able to dip/squat in cradles/tick tocks/or whatever else.

We played around with the squatting down today and widening their stance actually worked much better. Our stunting is improving tremendously. Thank you all so much for the great advice.

I'm like 5'4"/5" and my bases were always the same.
I always grabbed really low on the ankle- obvs bc I couldn't really reach lol- but right underneath the little ball of your ankle is where I'd put my thumb. My flyer had awful ankles and loved when I grabbed there so it was a win win.
For release skills ( like tick ups or whatever) I caught the ankle with whichever hand could reach and would sort of catch the heel with the remaining hand and adjust once everything was all settled.
Never get under the stunt. It's so tempting because you can reach better, but you could get a penalty! Same with standing on your toes. Where I cheered back spots had to have one foot flat on the ground at all times or you could be penalized (and I was hahah oops). For a little extra length make sure youre shrugging through your shoulders to be as tall as you can.
These are all of the tips I can think of right now but they help a lot!

This is a really fantastic idea. My flyer tore all the muscles in her ankle years ago and when we attempt to lib her ankle cannot support her foot and makes it impossible for the main base to bring her hands around. I will definetly try that tomorrow. Thank you!

Back