High School Transportation To Away Games

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Cheermom1969

Hiding from the Beygency. . .best GIFs/Memes
Cheer Parent
Apr 30, 2013
I'm having a discussion with our cheer advisor about transportation to away games for the cheerleaders. At our school, the football players pay a $75 transportation fee and there is a school bus that transports them. The cheerleaders have to rely on their parents to take them, many of them having to get off work in the middle of a Friday to do so.

How does your school handle transportation for the cheerleaders? And do they pay a fee?

At my school each team has $500 to use towards their team as needed. The majority of teams use this money for busing to games. Longer trips to tournaments is am additional fee that is paid by the individual team members. All costs for our teams is calculated before our season begins and given to parents. If any student can not afford the fees involved to participate in a sport then there can be access to special funding to assist with it.

I have a CP who has been cheering high school and is currently a senior. All athletes pay and activity fee of $50 which includes bus fees to away games and competitions, with the exception of one game and any competitions held at the school in the next town over. The football players get bussed but the cheerleaders need to find their own transportation. My youngest CP is just starting high school. Her activity fee is $225:eek: but I think it includes transportation to away games.

If we travel to an away game it typically costs about $1000 for the bus. Normally we are responsible for this but there's one or two games that the ad has told us we won't have to pay because they are big games. But the school does provide the bus for us

At my school each team has $500 to use towards their team as needed. The majority of teams use this money for busing to games. Longer trips to tournaments is am additional fee that is paid by the individual team members. All costs for our teams is calculated before our season begins and given to parents. If any student can not afford the fees involved to participate in a sport then there can be access to special funding to assist with it.

Just so I'm understanding your answer, the cheerleaders are transported by bus?

I'm not sure if the teams are given money by the school or what, but we did not pay any money individually for transportation or for activities in general. I do think a lot of the fees for sports were covered by the athletic booster club, though. I know they pay for all of the uniforms, practice equipment, etc.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

That is one expense that our Varsity cheerleaders don't have to pay. Our Freshman and JV squads only cheer at home games. The school provides a separate bus for each of the teams: cheer, drill team and players. If the game is more than 2 hours away, they ride on charter busses. Again, the school pays for them.

I'm just dumbfounded by this advisor's views. She doesn't want the cheerleaders on the bus with the football players and I can understand that. But to have the parents have to scramble to get them to away games, to me, is ridiculous. Let's pay the fee and get our own buses!
Sorry for the double post but couldn't figure out how to quote both.

There is no reason in my opinion that the cheerleaders should not be able to have a bus if they are paying for it! If the AD does not agree then I would go to the principal to change that.

Sorry for the double post but couldn't figure out how to quote both.

There is no reason in my opinion that the cheerleaders should not be able to have a bus if they are paying for it! If the AD does not agree then I would go to the principal to change that.

I'm starting to think this may be a hill I have to stand, fight, and die on. I have a football player who gets transportation available to him but his cheerleading sister does not. This doesn't sit well with me. At all.

I'm starting to think this may be a hill I have to stand, fight, and die on. I have a football player who gets transportation available to him but his cheerleading sister does not. This doesn't sit well with me. At all.
Who is in charge of the cheer team? Is there a teacher supervisor or teacher coach?

All my girls are bussed.

I actually get the OPPOSITE pushback from HS parents.

They complain that their kids get back to the school late, that Suzy is 16 and can drive herself, etc. Who really wants their kid driving over an hour back from a game in often unfamiliar areas after 10?
At my school we were required to take the bus to the game, but our parents (and parents only, the coaches knew who the athlete's parents were) were allowed to sign an athlete out and the parent could drive them home. But I know that is not an option for a lot of people, it worked well for me because my parents were the ones that were at every single game no matter what haha. And I lived about 45 minutes from my high school (my choice) and passed about 5 schools on the way, so the games at those schools that are closer it was a lot more convenient to get a ride home.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

welcome to the world of inequality there! My oldest CP's high school decided to change it's colors. The football team got new uniforms and accessories 100% paid for. The cheerleaders have to fundraise for their own warmups if they want to match the players (they only cheer in their uniforms for 2-3 games and then it is too cold). I have been on the phone all day trying to find ways to raise money.

Back