Trying Out Twice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 29, 2020
Will the coaches look down on me for trying out twice? Last year I tried out for my school's cheer team and didn't make it. I don't tumble as of right now and I was a pretty bad flyer since I had almost no experience. I love cheerleading a lot and I've always wanted to do it, but there were zero cheer gyms near my house growing up. My plan was to work on stunting over the summer, but then COVID-19 happened. My flexibility and jumps have gotten much better tho. I guess my dilemma is that I'm worried that I'll be looked down by the coaches for trying out twice. Is that something coaches do?

You should try out! Keep working flexibility and jumps. Add in core workouts and start jogging to get your stamina up. beat of luck!

I love seeing kids come back and try out, especially when they come back better than before. It shows they have grit and I probably want them on my team.
How do I let them know I tried out last year? Around 40 girls tried out last year and I'm not sure they remember me

How do I let them know I tried out last year? Around 40 girls tried out last year and I'm not sure they remember me
You can mention it if you want to, but you don't have to. You can just tell them that you tried out last year and didnt make it, and now you are back and better than ever!

I had a tryout of about that size my last year coaching and most of the coaching staff remembered athletes from last tryout if they were returning. I also work in the building though so I see the athletes often in my office, halls, etc.

I don't work on campus, but I always remember every kid that comes to try outs. Cutting someone is not fun, and I probably looked over their application and saw their name a million times over the course of try-outs. Maybe if it's a new coach you could mention it, but I would be shocked if they don't remember.
If you want to make an impact, on day one I would ask the coach privately what you can work on, and mention that you were cut last year and really want to make it this time. Make sure they know you really truly want this, and most of all, whatever they tell you, actually work on it! If it's your jumps, work on making them super tight and show them you can take direction and will work hard. These are the things that will cause me as a coach to fight for a kid when it comes to making the team or not.

Back