High School Tryout Clinic Tips

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 15, 2012
Hey Friends,
I put this post together because Tryout Season truly has arrived, and I know there are always questions from students and parents about what to do and what to say at clinics and open gyms. Not game changing but definitely helpful to some.

Tips for Cheer Tryout Clinics | Coach ScottyB

Any tips I may have missed?

Couldn't help myself, just love this show so much..

Maybe something along the lines of remembering to smile and faking it until you make it. It's never good to be the nervous-looking kid at a clinic or tryouts.

KEEP GOING.

FOR THE LOVE OF PETE IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE KEEP GOING.

DON'T be THAT girl who starts the dance off on the wrong foot and:

*cries.
*goes "oh my gosh I'm sooo not going to make it."
*decides they're not trying out now.

It's a clinic. We are learning. No one knows the dance. Relax.

New to school cheer?

Be a sponge!

Learn as much as you can.

Don't be a "in all stars we do it like ______" or "in gymnastics we don't ____" person.

^^^That and if you got it in 3 days, it probably looks like you got it in 3 days and is probably not worth throwing.

I run into this with standing tucks.

If you had to rush it and were pressed to get it in like, 2 weekends, it is probably not evaluation-worthy and you are probably HURTING yourself by throwing it.

Your CLEAN standing 3 to a tuck or BHS step out is probably the better choice, but noooo, kids want to show up to evals and be fancy.

Same with your running full. A lot of kids are trying so hard to have it for tryouts because it does make them stand out, but many times it is not perfected and is not the cleanest running pass they have. If you have it but it is literally a 1/2 spinning ball of permanent injury, please don't.

Last edited:
Back