High School Tryouts 2018-2019 Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 17, 2017
I know a lot of teams have just finished tryouts or are preparing for tryouts. Was wondering how everyones went!
We are finishing up our final team placements tomorrow. Sadly we weren't able to get high numbers for tryouts that we wanted but are happy we have enough for all teams including a brand new JV non-tumble squad! We had this squad a few years back as a team for those not quite ready to be put on our JV squad so it will be exciting to have it back again.

Ours were decent. We are revamping our program, and it is a rebuilding year. We are requiring tumbling for varsity for the first time this year, and there was a lot of drama surrounding that. The varsity team is small, but we have a lot of new talent on JV. If we can get them to commit to getting the tumbling, we should have an amazing varsity squad next year.

I switched schools this year for teaching (can't be a Head Coach of my old team anymore if I teach somewhere else) so I am starting a brand new program. Only 12 kids TOTAL showed up to tryouts (we can't tryout incoming 8th graders in the spring so hopefully we'll get more athletes in the fall), so I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do with so few athletes. Most likely we'll take 10 to the team, and split into JV/Varsity in the fall after 8th grade tryouts, but it's frustrating to leave a program where I'm giving the new coach 12 tucks and multiple athletes with backhandsprings and they've done no work to get it there (my assistant isn't taking over, it's someone brand new). Hoping to get my new team there in three years like I did with my old girls, but it's disheartening to say the least. I forgot how hard starting over was!

I switched schools this year for teaching (can't be a Head Coach of my old team anymore if I teach somewhere else) so I am starting a brand new program. Only 12 kids TOTAL showed up to tryouts (we can't tryout incoming 8th graders in the spring so hopefully we'll get more athletes in the fall), so I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do with so few athletes. Most likely we'll take 10 to the team, and split into JV/Varsity in the fall after 8th grade tryouts, but it's frustrating to leave a program where I'm giving the new coach 12 tucks and multiple athletes with backhandsprings and they've done no work to get it there (my assistant isn't taking over, it's someone brand new). Hoping to get my new team there in three years like I did with my old girls, but it's disheartening to say the least. I forgot how hard starting over was!
It's tough. We are in a ground bound district so we have a really hard time recruiting skilled kids. We are trying hard to turn that around. I am new to the program this year, but have known the head coach for years. We work well together so we are hoping some hard work will make a go of it.

Overall, I'm really happy. We have a lot of new kids on JV that have the potential to learn, and a solid group of returners. We are pretty good with tumbling but could always have more, and I have great body positions from the flyers. We need to step up our stunting a ton this year, so we have a lot of work to do. We had a good team meeting yesterday, and I've lost a lot of my drama mamas so my fingers are crossed for a great year.

Out of the starting blocks with a bang here.

27 on team..

Can’t decide between competing medium and large at the moment, but a stunt practice where I created groups concentrating the 16 strongest tumblers/experienced kids was really promising yesterday.

We’ve got our team leader group up and running.

I’ve got one strong tumbler who’s an incoming freshman and is already causing a little strife being a conditional participant. Team leaders have universally said its time to cut her loose, though I’m going to try to take her in and change her. I won’t spend a lot of energy on that before she gets the “you’re coming close to making me choose between you and team” speech.

We overachieved last year, and with our team culture being intentionally created as opposed to just happening, I think we will do so again. If we do, it could be a really fun year.

My niece has high school try outs beginning tomorrow. She’s a rising 8th grader and her goal is to make varsity.

The middle school where I work and help “coach” (I keep my help lax as to not get stuck having to attend games [emoji1474]) had 35 girls try out and we took 28. No tumbling. No experience. High poverty, Title I School. We started tumbling at a gym last week (district is busing them so that’s amazing) and I honestly think there’s a ton of potential. Primarily rising 7th graders, or 8th grader that didn’t cheer last year Very coachable and positive attitudes.

We cut the returning rising 8th returners because their attitudes were trash. Like they were hardly good enough to have bad attitudes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My niece has high school try outs beginning tomorrow. She’s a rising 8th grader and her goal is to make varsity.

The middle school where I work and help “coach” (I keep my help lax as to not get stuck having to attend games [emoji1474]) had 35 girls try out and we took 28. No tumbling. No experience. High poverty, Title I School. We started tumbling at a gym last week (district is busing them so that’s amazing) and I honestly think there’s a ton of potential. Primarily rising 7th graders, or 8th grader that didn’t cheer last year Very coachable and positive attitudes.

We cut the returning rising 8th returners because their attitudes were trash. Like they were hardly good enough to have bad attitudes.

Good luck to your niece!

Totally random, are athletes allowed to cross-over between JV & Varsity competition teams?

Thoughts on 8th graders being on a varsity team?
Not because the school is tiny or low interest, with the sole purpose of having a tiny little one with senior bases??
Yes UCA says it’s legal... but ethical?? What do u all think?
Oh, the 8th grader is not permitted to cheer at games, and can’t go to camp.
Just curious abt this.

Thoughts on 8th graders being on a varsity team?
Not because the school is tiny or low interest, with the sole purpose of having a tiny little one with senior bases??
Yes UCA says it’s legal... but ethical?? What do u all think?
Oh, the 8th grader is not permitted to cheer at games, and can’t go to camp.
Just curious abt this.

I think that if a child has the skill to be on a competitive varsity, they should be on varsity. The goal is to be competitive. A middle school basketball player can also play varsity.

My niece is 12, a rising 8th grader and going into try outs this week...her only goal is to make varsity. She has the necessary tumbling skills and general skills for varsity....she has better tumbling than most of the high school girls. She should be on varsity and deserves to be on varsity, and her being in 8th grade shouldn’t hold her back. She’s done a year on JV. Last year two 8th graders made varsity. 8th graders on varsity cheer varsity football games.

My niece isn’t also particularly tiny. She’s 5’0 and 110. She can base or fly.

I think that if a child has the skill to be on a competitive varsity, they should be on varsity. The goal is to be competitive. A middle school basketball player can also play varsity.

My niece is 12, a rising 8th grader and going into try outs this week...her only goal is to make varsity. She has the necessary tumbling skills and general skills for varsity....she has better tumbling than most of the high school girls. She should be on varsity and deserves to be on varsity, and her being in 8th grade shouldn’t hold her back. Last year two 8th graders made varsity. 8th graders on varsity cheer varsity football games.

My niece isn’t also particularly tiny. She’s 5’0 and 110. She can base or fly.

Interesting... as cheer is not a recognized sport but in NJ student athletes are only allowed to play at a varsity level for a total of 8 semesters
Meaning if they play in 8th grade they can only play 4 years total .. so no SR. Year of play .

I feel that pain. Starting Year 2 and still fighting the negative culture that existed prior to our arrival.
Low numbers, decent skill though.

Back