Tumble Track To Floor

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 23, 2010
I have my layout on the tumble track, but I can't for the life of me do it on the floor. I can set really high in tucks, but when I think about opening up for a layout, I don't remember to set anymore. Can anyone help?

Well there is setting and there is reaching... To set you must block hold a strong hollow body position and take your momentum up. Most people who can complete a layout on the trampoline and not on the floor are not setting they are driving there shoulders back with their feet in front of them on the backhandspring... with the tumble track this causes for a quick low layout/whip thing...

Really work on some blocking drills... have someone video your tumbling and see where you direct your shoulders when you come out of your backhandspring and where your feet are. If you pull your feet to far through you have no choice but to go straight back and flip low... you can reach through your arms all you want doing this and you still won't land a layout on the floor... Hope this helps!

Do you set when you do it on the tumble track?

Yes and I can feel myself setting and I'm at a decent height (could be higher), but I also undercut it and land about half a foot in front of where I originally started the layout.

Yes and I can feel myself setting and I'm at a decent height (could be higher), but I also undercut it and land about half a foot in front of where I originally started the layout.

I'm picturing it in my head and it sounds like you aren't ready to do it on the floor. You should be able to do 10 in a row on the tumble track without any problems before throwing it on the floor. Since you are mentioning problems (you say it could be higher... and that you land in front of where you take off from the ground), it would be better for you and safer to keep working on them on the tumble track until you get rid of them problems. The tumble track is a really good tool, and I use it a lot, but it is important that you when you are using it, you are using good technique instead of just using the extra bounce to your advantage.

What is your head position like in your layout? Make sure that when you are setting, you head is neutral and your eye gaze is directed at a spot on the wall in front of you. Try this and then tell me if it changes anything, and I can try to reassess it if it doesn't. A video would help if you have one.

Back