Twisting Block?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 17, 2014
So I've started working on fulls about a month ago now. I've been doing tons of drills and trying roundoff halfs on the tumble track. At first I could do the halfs, but then eventually I just couldn't make myself twist anymore. I know in my head that I can do it, but every time I try its just like my body stops me. Im 17, so maybe I'm just to old to learn how to twist? I never expected to get a full quickly but I'm already having issues and I haven't even had a scary fall or anything like that! Is this a mental block? Or am I just too old to learn? Any ideas on how to get past this would be much appreciated!

So I've started working on fulls about a month ago now. I've been doing tons of drills and trying roundoff halfs on the tumble track. At first I could do the halfs, but then eventually I just couldn't make myself twist anymore. I know in my head that I can do it, but every time I try its just like my body stops me. Im 17, so maybe I'm just to old to learn how to twist? I never expected to get a full quickly but I'm already having issues and I haven't even had a scary fall or anything like that! Is this a mental block? Or am I just too old to learn? Any ideas on how to get past this would be much appreciated!
No such thing as being too old. I'm 18 and literally JUST got my handspring. Sounds a lot like a mental block... I read an article about them and steps to help get over them, ill try to find it for you!

17 is not too old! When I started fulls I was 17. But then I got mental about it and stopped learning twisting.

This could be a mental block, but it's also a newer skill so it may be that physically you just haven't learned it yet. I'm a mental toughness coach...try to break the skill down into the cues/reminders for how to execute. Before you go, use positive thoughts like "I got this" and then for the skill, create your words (mental choreography) for each step of the way, so if you're tumbling into it, it might be "reach, snap" (for the RO), "sit, jump" (for the BHS) and then "set, drop" (for the twist, with whatever word helps cue your body to execute the twisting technique your coach has taught). This can likely help with executing the skill whether or not there is an actual block. Work on using this mental choreography on every turn/every drill/etc.

Take it back a step. I have taught tumbling for 10+ years and this is always my go to step for teaching fulls.

Start out by doing round off layouts to a mat on the TumblTrak/Tramp, then after you land do a straight jump half turn (pull the same way you would in a full). This helps to feel the twist without being upside down.

Once you are able to land and immediately jump half turn right out of your layout consistently, move the half turn to before you land but after you pass upside down. (Hope this makes sense)

Good Luck!!

Last edited:
I learned to twist at 21 and didn't even start tumbling until I was 20. You've got this. It's just like any other skill, you'll get there if you stick with it.

Back