High School Uca Nationals 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 5, 2011
The first email has come out... how can it be time already!?!

I find it interesting that we can register online before qualifying this year. Registration opens the 26th... Qualifying comps start the 29th... or am I missing something?

The first email has come out... how can it be time already!?!

I find it interesting that we can register online before qualifying this year. Registration opens the 26th... Qualifying comps start the 29th... or am I missing something?

The information was out with dates like that last year as well. I had the same thought.

Not at all...it was like that last year, because my district allowed us to register before we got our official bid to insure that we got good rooms in the event we did get our bid! =0\

http://www.varsity.com/uploads/edit.../NHSCC/UCA_HighSchoolCompetitionDates2016.pdf

Why does it feel like there are more competitions this year than in the past?

Anyhow, they changed the location of the empire regional again. It's less of a trip but as any downstate NYer knows, driving in long island is not fun.

EDIT: I wish they would do 2 regionals here; one downstate like we have now and another one upstate like in Syracuse or something. A lot of teams further up can't make the drive to PA,Jersey,etc.

Now question: do you anticipate MORE attending NHSCC with the music rule
Change and certification requirement or Less this year?

Now question: do you anticipate MORE attending NHSCC with the music rule change and certification requirement or Less this year?
I honestly don't think the music rule will effect NHSCC at all as far as attendance. The teams competing at this level won't let music deter their nationals experience.

Now question: do you anticipate MORE attending NHSCC with the music rule change and certification requirement or Less this year?
I honestly don't think the music rule will effect NHSCC at all as far as attendance. The teams competing at this level won't let music deter their nationals experience.
I think any team who attended or brought in the mandatory camp will now anticipate/expect to get a bid and go. Cp's HS team had a camp at the school at the end of July. They also have new uniforms from Varsity. They are playing the game and expect to go.

@LittleMissA17 Wasn't there a NYS qualifier at Hofstra or Stony Brook last year as well?

Now question: do you anticipate MORE attending NHSCC with the music rule
Change and certification requirement or Less this year?

IMO, I don't think they'll have much affect.

Teams that expected to go to NHSCC made sure they did camp - maybe there are a few that didn't like the additional nickeling and dimeing, but if they were already bought into the NHSCC, I don't really see it causing a lot of teams to decide to stop going. And conversely, teams like my HS that went to camp as usual and got credentialed while there, still don't have NHSCC as a goal this year because we still aren't at that level.

As for the music, I don't see how that will affect it at all. Our state is pushing the music rule and that doesn't have anything to do with Varsity. I assumed other states and comps are similar and everyone will just have legal music.

@LittleMissA17 Wasn't there a NYS qualifier at Hofstra or Stony Brook last year as well?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was at Hofstra last year but it's still mainly focused down state (for teams in LI, Westchester,NYC, and CT). Why I think they should do a second one for the upstate teams that can't take the long ride down to long island

@LittleMissA17 I thought you meant that that there wasn't one on Long Island last season. I'm actually surprised that is the only one in all of NYS. Not sure where upstate you are, but PA, NJ, MA or CT might wind up being more convenient for you. Quite a few Long Island teams actually go to qualifiers in NJ and PA because the NY one was usually later in the season.

@LittleMissA17 I thought you meant that that there wasn't one on Long Island last season. I'm actually surprised that is the only one in all of NYS. Not sure where upstate you are, but PA, NJ, MA or CT might wind up being more convenient for you. Quite a few Long Island teams actually go to qualifiers in NJ and PA because the NY one was usually later in the season.

Yeah it has been popular to go (my team had went to them in previous years.) My team was in lower NY too.

I'm saying do one in a place like Syracuse or Albany so a team in some of the counties beyond the south can go. Most of those teams don't really go to nationals and focus more on states or go to Ameri cheer nationals. If they did one further north and keep the one downstate then maybe more would come out for bids.

I think any team who attended or brought in the mandatory camp will now anticipate/expect to get a bid and go. Cp's HS team had a camp at the school at the end of July. They also have new uniforms from Varsity. They are playing the game and expect to go.

@LittleMissA17 Wasn't there a NYS qualifier at Hofstra or Stony Brook last year as well?

"playing the game" huh?

Would it surprise you to know that we spent a grand total of ZERO dollars outside of comp fees with Varsity last year and still did well at comps?

One of my teams won their division at the qualifier. The other was in the mix with some of the best programs in the country.

At nationals, one of my teams had 3 falls but without those deductions were in 5th place in their prelim round, and the other advanced to semis missing finals by less than a point...again against some the most prestigious teams in the country.

The phrase "playing the game" and what it implies within the context of your post is a slap in the face to the athletes that do the work to do well at these competitions. It really just comes across as sour grapes.

"playing the game" huh?

Would it surprise you to know that we spent a grand total of ZERO dollars outside of comp fees with Varsity last year and still did well at comps?

One of my teams won their division at the qualifier. The other was in the mix with some of the best programs in the country.

At nationals, one of my teams had 3 falls but without those deductions were in 5th place in their prelim round, and the other advanced to semis missing finals by less than a point...again against some the most prestigious teams in the country.

The phrase "playing the game" and what it implies within the context of your post is a slap in the face to the athletes that do the work to do well at these competitions. It really just comes across as sour grapes.
Not really. I'm actually laughing that you think I'm bitter about HS standings. If you reread my post I was referring to my child's team, and not anyone else.

It is wonderful that your team did and does so well, and there was no disrespect intended to you or your athletes (or any HS athletes at all) since you seem to be taking this so personally. If however you truly think that not wearing Varsity uniforms and/or previously not attending the now mandatory UCA camps has no effect on getting a bid - I am not talking about how you do at nationals, but merely getting a bid - then keep living in your bubble. I think though you might need to impose an earlier curfew on yourself because you seem a little cranky and confrontational posting at 11:34 PM your time.

The reason why I asked.. was We had some teams (not a whole lot but a few) in our are who were going to start (or were)competing UCA/USA ... but found out about music changes and credentialing then completely decided to go strictly local comps. It TOTALY changed their path.. and I thought that was insane.
I think some schools are still under the impression it's (like another poster said) a "Varsity thing" with the music... and many didn't understand credentialing. Some schools went with a cheaper local small "all star" camp and came out completely technically unsound. They have more difficult and dangerous stunts (half that are illegal) and not level appropriate for the squads true skill set.
All to "save a buck?!"
outside of music costing a few extra $100 and let's me be honest, doing a Varsity Brand at home camp it's relatively affordable... I just don't see why.
:/
I directed my question more at NHSCC but what I meant was..."do you think the changes have affected what camps/competitions schools will be attending this year"...

The reason why I asked.. was We had some teams (not a whole lot but a few) in our are who were going to start (or were)competing UCA/USA ... but found out about music changes and credentialing then completely decided to go strictly local comps. It TOTALY changed their path.. and I thought that was insane.
I think some schools are still under the impression it's (like another poster said) a "Varsity thing" with the music... and many didn't understand credentialing. Some schools went with a cheaper local small "all star" camp and came out completely technically unsound. They have more difficult and dangerous stunts (half that are illegal) and not level appropriate for the squads true skill set.
All to "save a buck?!"
outside of music costing a few extra $100 and let's me be honest, doing a Varsity Brand at home camp it's relatively affordable... I just don't see why.
:/
I directed my question more at NHSCC but what I meant was..."do you think the changes have affected what camps/competitions schools will be attending this year"...
I think me and @OldskoolKYcheercoach have warped opinions based on geography and the cheer culture here. We live in the UCA bubble. It would take a lot for teams in our general region to stop going to UCA Nationals. Camp, music etc changes may frustrate people around here, but it's really not going to effect how we do things. I haven't noticed a drop or influx either way.

I can see how a California team would be different though. For the most part Cali teams aren't geared towards UCA. NHSCC is far away and expensive. The local level talent isn't as deep because the area is so spread out, so finding teams and competitions to go to before nationals is probably more challenging. In this area, UCA nationals has been a thing for generations. Current cheerleaders had parents that went there, it's a whole culture that just isn't there yet in Cali. I can see why it would deter a west coast team from buying into the idea if they're not at that competitive level or don't have the goal to be.

Back