Uca Rubric Vs. State Rubrics (full Ups)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 1, 2015
Hi guys! I'm a newbie (not to cheer, but to this site!) and I coach high school cheer in Virginia. This is the VHSL Score Rubric:

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/cheer- 2015-competiton-scoring-rubric.pdf

I love the rubric this year because of how straight-forward it is and I really appreciate the room for creativity. However, the full up score range is questionable. Modified full ups (cross-foot, ruby slipper grip) are judged lower than the traditional full up grip and I was wondering if other states do the same thing when it comes to this particular stunt.
Also, is the ruby slipper (which I absolutely love! Best full up grip ever!) recognized everywhere as a full up grip? Because there were quite a few judges who didn't give us points for it because they didn't know exactly what it was. We had nice judges who gave us pointers AFTER the competition was over so that they could tell us what to do better for our official Conferences and they admitted that they weren't sure what kind of stunt it was.

My understanding was that the VHSL rubric was modeled directly after the UCA scoring rubric. So it would make sense for the difference in scoring for the full up grip. There are a couple threads on be in regards to UCA high school nationals that cover the topic of scoring for grips I believe. So any state who follows the UCA scoring will also likely follow this idea of difficulty following the grip for the full up.

VHSL judges typically don't know the value or difficulty of many stunts, and its quite frustrating. It's even worse to see competitions completely disregard the rubric that they created! The rubric was a step in the right direction but it means nothing if the judges themselves aren't knowledgable about it and the skills themselves.

VHSL judges typically don't know the value or difficulty of many stunts, and its quite frustrating. It's even worse to see competitions completely disregard the rubric that they created! The rubric was a step in the right direction but it means nothing if the judges themselves aren't knowledgable about it and the skills themselves.

Very true. There were a lot of inconsistencies this year, and I honestly feel like the rubric should have avoided all of that if the judges had proper training. My squad had a fifty point difference between two competitions and I was so very confused as to how we performed the same routine and lost difficulty and execution.
Also it really bothered me this year when I would watch squads have multiple stunt falls and tumbling checks and then I would see the amount of their deductions on the final score sheet and be mind blown that it wasn't higher. I'm not sure if this is true but I've heard that UCA competitions will film the routines and the judges will re-watch the videos to check for falls and safety checks. If that's true then I really hope VHSL implements that soon.

My understanding was that the VHSL rubric was modeled directly after the UCA scoring rubric. So it would make sense for the difference in scoring for the full up grip. There are a couple threads on be in regards to UCA high school nationals that cover the topic of scoring for grips I believe. So any state who follows the UCA scoring will also likely follow this idea of difficulty following the grip for the full up.

I just wish most judges were more upfront about how they score for full ups because my squad used the ruby slipper grip to full up to a heel stretch, but we got the same amount of difficulty points that another squad received for using the cross foot method to full up to preps. I'm not a judge or anything, but in my opinion a modified full up to an immediate body position should definitely score higher versus a modified full up to a two legged prep.
Like one group of judges does not score the same as another set of judges. Between two competitions my squad had a fifty point difference in final score and we performed the same routine at both competitions. Inconsistencies like that really blow my mind.

Back