Uk Cheerleaders - Needing Advice.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 26, 2014
Okay so this is a pretty random post but I've got the opportunity to do a coaching course through the local council and they will pay for me to do my USASF credentials for level 1 and 2 (as I can't afford to put myself through them and my team refuse to). The course also provides hands on experience on how to coach, provides first aid training, how to plan work outs, fundraisers, criminal background checks and certifies you for working with children (basically everything you need to be a coach). The course is ten weeks long and runs from October to December. The only problem is that it runs the same time as my training session for senior cheer. I nicely asked the coach if there was anything she could do as I still wanted to cheer as well as do the course but she got offended because I wanted my credentials (which I won't even use this season, its for when I go to university in 2016) and refused to move the training night, even though she did it for someone else this season as they had dance lessons at the same time. Basically long story short I've been given an ultimatum to throw away a fantastic opportunity that is the only way for me to get credentials and not cheer and not have the option to come back mid season (as we don't compete until may and we usually don't even start routines until January) or stay on the team and not get my credentials and also miss out on a place for Camp America (summer councillor thing which I need my credentials otherwise they won't take me) next year. What should I do?!

Do what's best for you and your future. Sounds like you will have more opportunities if you get your USASF credentials than if you stay and cheer for someone who doesn't seem to want you to succeed.

Just go for it I got my credentials out of my own pocket this year and its helped me so much I working in a play scheme this summer and each worker has to do a workshop so it means I can do thing like that

I would recommend going for your credentials purely because if you will only be with your current team one more year before university you need to think more in the long run and in a sport where realistically you can only be an athlete for a certain time frame coaching is a great opportunity to take up!

However dont be jaded at your current club as im sure if they could afford to put you on a course they would equally if someone told me they were going to miss two months of training I probably wouldnt put them on the competitve squad either as sometimes the team does need to come first.

As for university its a great chance to start your coaching career! However dependent on the university they may not let you coach in the first year as they most likely will have someone already in place. Be fantastic for you if you can and I wish you luck! just a warning that unless something is already in place for you to coach and that decision is made april 2016 time its unlikely you will coach straight away :)

Could you not do the BCA coaches program that is just a weekend course?
I don't live anywhere near the course as I'm from up north in Scotland. I also haven't got the money to do it as I'm going through stuff like driving lessons and all that at the minute which I have to pay for. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Latest posts

Back