High School Unbelievable

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 10, 2015
KHSAA State cheer competition was this weekend. UCA has taken over all of the scoring and judging responsibilities for our state cheer competition which was a tremendous improvement. For the first time ever, the Gameday format was offered. Since it was the inaugural year, it was offered on a “open entry” event to be held on Friday. Eighty-five teams registered and were split into two divisions with some fabulous competition. Less than 1.5 points separated places 2-5 in one of the divisions. The 2 1/2 minute routines were played out on Saturday with several killer performances by some of the top teams in the country, especially in the small and medium all-girl divisions, and 2-time defending national champion, McCracken Co in the large coed division. That was the unbelievably good.

What was the unbelievably bad? One team in Gameday performed a 2 1/2 minute routine. They managed to score 30.6 points, then took 30.5 points in deductions, legalities, and penalties, for a total score of 0.1 (yes, you read that correctly). As a coach, how do you allow this to happen to a group of teenagers who are working their tails off for you only to be embarrassed on the competition floor? The 2 1/2 minute routine wasn’t going to win anything, but it was serviceable enough that onlookers could tell that the kids had worked hard on it. When you’re a coach, one of your primary responsibilities is to know rules, regulations, and competitive formats for competitions in which you enter your team. Your other primary responsibility is to put your athletes in the best possible position to put a product on the floor in which they can take pride. Scoring a 0.1 out of 100 is inexcusable. Shame on her.

What on earth could have possibly been put in the routine to earn them 30 points in deductions? We’re they doing College pyramids and baskets or something??

What on earth could have possibly been put in the routine to earn them 30 points in deductions? We’re they doing College pyramids and baskets or something??

Well it’s Gameday, so there are additional restrictions. Here’s a partial list of things they did that are not permitted:

1) any skill other than jumps during what should have been their band dance. Of course, since they played 2 1/2 minute routine music, I’m assuming the judges considered the first music section to be the “band dance”

2) tosses of any kind

3) body positions other than a lib

4) running tumbling of any kind

5) inversions of any kind

They did all of the above.

Did the coach sign them up for the wrong division? Would the routine have been acceptable if performed on Saturday?

Did the coach sign them up for the wrong division? Would the routine have been acceptable if performed on Saturday?

I have no idea what she was thinking.

Performing Saturday was not an option, as you have to qualify through a regional in our state to get to state.

Ugh, that breaks my heart for the kids. MAYBE (just maybe) her goal was to compete the 2.5 minute routine next year and wanted to prep the kids by practicing this year? Maybe they were aware and did it anyway?

You're doing the kids a disservice when you don't, um, READ THE RULES for the division/comp you're signing them up for.

You are also wasting parental time, money, and energy. No one has time to drive, take time out of their day, etc. for their kids to lose/take a million points in deductions because you did not do your due diligence.

That is the equivalent of me taking my kids to a comp in the NONTUMBLING division and having them do standing fulls. It is negligent on my part and a waste of everyone's time.

You're doing the kids a disservice when you don't, um, READ THE RULES for the division/comp you're signing them up for.

You are also wasting parental time, money, and energy. No one has time to drive, take time out of their day, etc. for their kids to lose/take a million points in deductions because you did not do your due diligence.

That is the equivalent of me taking my kids to a comp in the NONTUMBLING division and having them do standing fulls. It is negligent on my part and a waste of everyone's time.

Agree 100%.

The gym that CP was a part of last year did not bother to read up on the new rules of the 2017/2018 season. They choreographed illegal tumbling and had to be told by judges at their first comp. This is actually a double whammy for them since they put girls on the team who could only do the easier version. Now their tumbling ratios will be off until the girls gain the skill.

It is 100% the fault and responsibility of the coach to read the rules. You cannot put the blame on UCA, the kids, parents, no one but the coach. Unless they were doing something like a test run like @retiredl5cheer said, I would be incredibly annoyed and embarassed to be an athlete on that team. I remember always posting snapchats with teammates in new cities and telling friends that I was going to a competition. Because I did that, when I returned the question was always how I did at whatever competition. I feel for those kids having to tell their friends what happened.

I have no idea what she was thinking.

Performing Saturday was not an option, as you have to qualify through a regional in our state to get to state.

I'm betting she took a look at other Game Day routines, decided they didn't look that difficult compared to show cheer routines, then stuffed it with illegal stunts and tumbling without considering that the reason Game Day routines are stripped down in the first place is because they're supposed to be.

I'd hate to be in her shoes when she has to look those parents in the eyes...

Back