All-Star Upa Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 4, 2011
I know there were a lot of unhappy coaches, cheerleaders, gym owners and families over UPA's 2011 AmeriCup event. Have you all seen that UPA is now getting rid of their cheerleading portion of the company all together and going exclusively with dance? Here is a portion of the press release I received via e-mail:

Like Mark Twain, or the person who awakens to find their obituary in the newspaper, it came as quite a shock to discover that a mass email implying that the AmeriCup event you’ve enjoyed and attended in the past, was no more. Neither I, nor any representative from the current organization was privy to this communication and it did not originate from UPA Incorporated. Therefore, I apologize if you were confused by this misinformation.

The
good news is that nothing could be further from the truth! The national event you know and love is scheduled for February 24-26, 2012 (the last week in February as always). We will be at the Convention Center in downtown Minneapolis for another fabulous weekend. Many of you have already returned your VIP package information regarding the event. Keep them coming in!

The February event will continue to be your only
Dance Worlds Qualifier in Minneapolis. We will again be awarding five partial paid and 10 at-large bids to the 2012 Worlds Championship. Our event offers the greatest amount of dance world bids out of all the event producers in the industry.

Continuing the good news: “The cat’s out of the bag”, so to speak. If you’ve heard recently that major changes are afoot at UPA … you heard right! We are taking a
fresh new direction and we couldn’t be more excited! UPA is in the process of transitioning out of the cheer industry while expanding our reach into the dance community. It is an exciting evolution and to celebrate this new beginning, we’ve taken a new name: Dance Xtreme USA, or DX for short. (For clarification, we are not affiliated with Xtreme Spirit Events based out of Illinois.)

Looks like the unhappy customers and poor registration attendance got rid of this cheer company. The only unclear portion of the press release is if the event in 2012 that's still scheduled is dance-only.

I did see this, too, and having attended UPA Americup this past year, it doesn't surprise me that they're going dance only. Their attendance had gotten so low in cheer and this past year's competition was so poorly done, I don't know who would have attended again. Guess they saw the writing on the wall, too, and made a good decision for themselves to move forward with dance only. From what I had heard, it was a much better event than the cheer portion.

I died laughing when I got the email. Serves them right. Also saw an email from former UPA staff starting their own cheer/dance event company. I'm sure that one will be just as fabulous...

From what I had heard, it was a much better event than the cheer portion.

That was the impression I got as well. The cheer competition was poorly reviewed, and with the small number of teams almost certainly wouldn't have been offering a world's bid. It certainly makes sense for UPA to go in this direction.

I died laughing when I got the email. Serves them right. Also saw an email from former UPA staff starting their own cheer/dance event company. I'm sure that one will be just as fabulous...
make sure you let us know what the name of that event is if you find out. We'll want to be sure to miss it. :)

If it's the same former UPA-staffer that I heard about, this has been in the works for over a year. I think these smaller companies should stick to one or the other, dance or cheer, in order to try to have any success in a smaller area like the midwest.

Do we know if the 2012 Americup is dance-only or if they're doing cheer one last time?

Do we know if the 2012 Americup is dance-only or if they're doing cheer one last time?

The wording made it sound like this would be the last year WITH cheer, but I could see it being either/or. Nobody in MN wants to go. Except maybe one gym..

But if the one gym brings all 493 of its teams, UPA will probably bring in about 90 percent of the 2011 profit. A few of us midwest folks should put together a team and get some amazing uniforms. That way we could still appeal to the judges enough for a bid to Worlds. I won't have to save so much in my piggy bank.

But if the one gym brings all 493 of its teams, UPA will probably bring in about 90 percent of the 2011 profit. A few of us midwest folks should put together a team and get some amazing uniforms. That way we could still appeal to the judges enough for a bid to Worlds. I won't have to save so much in my piggy bank.

Dying. I'd be laughing even more if it wasn't true...

The wording made it sound like this would be the last year WITH cheer, but I could see it being either/or. Nobody in MN wants to go. Except maybe one gym..

My third-hand understanding is that they weren't having a cheer competition this year. If they're only going to have 40 teams (if they're lucky) I can't imagine the extra expense of hiring judges, renting the ballrooms, etc., would be worth it.

Hey NEliteSteven, I thought as a "coach" you are supposed to show good sportsmanship for other local teams? I've watched you snark against our gym in several posts. Great example you lead as a coach! <cough>

For the record, that "other gym" is thrilled not to be going to UPA. :)

Back