High School Usa Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2017
Hey everyone,

I know it's not the most well-attended or popular comp, but USA HS Nationals is coming up on the 23-25 in Disneyland. Should be interesting for a few reasons:

1. It's been moved up about a month earlier than last year. Meaning teams that compete at both UCA and USA don't have the full six weeks they used to get to improve themselves for their last chance to win a national title (and some teams NEED those six weeks).

2. New scoresheets = new shakeups, probably.

3. Massive schedule reorganizations due to the new CA CIA rules. So CA-based teams that have not experienced a UCA Nationals (and lots of them haven't because it's too far) are going to have a much different experience if they final because they will be required to perform twice in a day, not twice in a weekend. Might not change anything, but it might be too much stress for unaccustomed teams to handle.

Anyone going? So far the roster includes your usual UCA heavyweights Eldo, Losal, Oak Ridge, etc. Should be interesting.

Hey everyone,

I know it's not the most well-attended or popular comp, but USA HS Nationals is coming up on the 23-25 in Disneyland. Should be interesting for a few reasons:

1. It's been moved up about a month earlier than last year. Meaning teams that compete at both UCA and USA don't have the full six weeks they used to get to improve themselves for their last chance to win a national title (and some teams NEED those six weeks).

2. New scoresheets = new shakeups, probably.

3. Massive schedule reorganizations due to the new CA CIA rules. So CA-based teams that have not experienced a UCA Nationals (and lots of them haven't because it's too far) are going to have a much different experience if they final because they will be required to perform twice in a day, not twice in a weekend. Might not change anything, but it might be too much stress for unaccustomed teams to handle.

Anyone going? So far the roster includes your usual UCA heavyweights Eldo, Losal, Oak Ridge, etc. Should be interesting.
We like to attend but couldn’t justify missing school for UCA and USA THAT close together to our District.... the styles are also SO different ... without having a gap of time to make some tweaks to adjust to the more visual and “show based” scoresheet of USA ... we couldn’t hack it. Add in trying to implement Game time, Sideline starting a Pom and looking at Stunt the Sport... more and more is getting squished into a very short amount of time. Our school JUST really started competing 3 years ago so it’s been interesting adapting to so much change

We like to attend but couldn’t justify missing school for UCA and USA THAT close together to our District.... the styles are also SO different ... without having a gap of time to make some tweaks to adjust to the more visual and “show based” scoresheet of USA ... we couldn’t hack it. Add in trying to implement Game time, Sideline starting a Pom and looking at Stunt the Sport... more and more is getting squished into a very short amount of time. Our school JUST really started competing 3 years ago so it’s been interesting adapting to so much change

The scoresheets from UCA and USA are really different this year! One thing USA cut from the requirements this year was full squad basket tosses and a second jump section, but they still look for two pyramids whereas UCA does not. We did not go to UCA this year so I didn’t have to worry about tweaking our routine much, but next year I think we’re just going to have to have two separate routines and roll with it. It’s a pain in the butt switching back and forth during regionals season but I don’t see any way around it.

My kids are not the caliber to compete UCA, but the USA Intermediate division is exactly the place we belong. I think they'll have a pretty good shot as long as *knock on wood* another athlete doesn't get hurt. Just had one get a concussion yesterday, two are in boots that come off two days before we leave, and one just got cleared from a broken back two weeks ago. Needless to say, it's been a rough season, but I'm hoping we hit at USA.

If anyone else is there feel free to post your division/school, we're in Medium Intermediate Show Cheer, Agua Fria High School. Fingers crossed they make it to finals this year!

My kids are not the caliber to compete UCA, but the USA Intermediate division is exactly the place we belong. I think they'll have a pretty good shot as long as *knock on wood* another athlete doesn't get hurt. Just had one get a concussion yesterday, two are in boots that come off two days before we leave, and one just got cleared from a broken back two weeks ago. Needless to say, it's been a rough season, but I'm hoping we hit at USA.

If anyone else is there feel free to post your division/school, we're in Medium Intermediate Show Cheer, Agua Fria High School. Fingers crossed they make it to finals this year!
Good luck! Hope you guys nail it!

Congrats on finals!

I was there but was so busy running back and forth between Main Arena and the new North Hall supporting the 13 teams I've worked with over this season! I would've loved to have seen your team! Congrats on making finals! :D

Where is Agua Fria from?

13 teams, wow! Can't even imagine the workout you got this weekend haha. Thanks for the congrats, I was pretty dang proud of them! Was hoping for a hit in finals but it wasn't in the stars, we couldn't be happier to have just gone though.

Agua Fria is in Avondale Arizona, it's a Title I school so a lot of financial issues with Nationals, but we managed to make it work and boy was it worth it! If anyone wants to see me ugly cry, feel free to watch the video that my assistant coach filmed.

Thinking of competing USA this year, I have no tumbling on my squad though and was wondering if the non-tumbling division was allowed the advance divisions stunts?

Thinking of competing USA this year, I have no tumbling on my squad though and was wondering if the non-tumbling division was allowed the advance divisions stunts?

The only restriction for non-tumbling is that you can't tumble. As far as I'm aware, the only limit for stunting is that it's legal in high school and you're all set. Someone on the boards actually competes non tumbling at USA most years, I can't remember their username off the top of my head but they've always had killer stunts when they do compete.

We compete NT... And there is no limit on difficulty, be mindful that basket tosses are part of pyramid score (so not a category part of the score sheet) and choreography/visual presentation is emphasized heavily in USA and is weighted proportionately with difficulty

Here’s a GREAT NT team out of Texas. I think they train at Cheer Athletics so it’s really no surprise why they’re incredible. Really shows how you can maximise your time to do some amazing stunts without all that tumbling sucking up all your 8 counts.

Here’s a GREAT NT team out of Texas. I think they train at Cheer Athletics so it’s really no surprise why they’re incredible. Really shows how you can maximise your time to do some amazing stunts without all that tumbling sucking up all your 8 counts.

Isn’t this the high school out of Laredo?
Most of the kids go to Laredo All American I believe; who also makes amazing stunting team? Maybe they just do a camp there or two because I think if this is the school with the same name- Laredo and Dallas are extremely far apart but nothing really surprises me lol so I guess it could be that they practice in Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn’t this the high school out of Laredo?
Most of the kids go to Laredo All American I believe; who also makes amazing stunting team? Maybe they just do a camp there or two because I think if this is the school with the same name- Laredo and Dallas are extremely far apart but nothing really surprises me lol so I guess it could be that they practice in Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is United South competing at NCA. There is another good team called United that does UCA. That might be the team you’re thinking of because in the past they’ve gone by “Laredo United.”

I don’t know where United South trains. I thought they went through Cheer Athletics but maybe I completely made that up.

Back