High School Varsity Brand Bow - Won't Sit Right?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 18, 2012
We ordered bows with our uniforms from Varsity. They customized them to match our uniform really well! They have gold sequins fabric, black ribbon, and then green mystique. You can see it in my profile picture. Well, the bow has three layers and it's really heavy. I just can't get it to sit right on my head... It flops backwards and it looks dumb! I believe it's because the top part (the "loops" persay) are so heavy. I tried cutting the elastic and tying it to try to get it right, which didn't work, and I've tried to reposition the elastic, but that didn't work either. Has anyone else had this problem with Varsity bows? and how can I fix it? It drives me crazy! Suggestions?
*I wear my hair half up half down to school but we have to wear it all the way up for games. It's not as noticeable when my hair is all the way up - I think b/c I can use bobby pins so it sits a little better - but when my hair is half up the bow is literally folded in half, the top part is like perpendicular to my head.

I always bobby pin the tails down and as crazy as this may sound I always spray my bow with a ton of hairspray when I put it on. It helps it to be stiff and stand up the way you want it to.

I HATE varsity bows. we've gotten them every year since my freshman year (atleast 3 bows every time) and they NEVER sit right. i learned to bobby pin the tails down. but thats the best i can tell ya
Yeah, I bobby pin the tails for games. I can't do it during the school day - they just slip out of my hair! Ugh. It's so frustrating :/

Yeah, I bobby pin the tails for games. I can't do it during the school day - they just slip out of my hair! Ugh. It's so frustrating :/
You need better bobby pins. Go to Sally's and buy "mini bob pins" They do not slip out of hair, not matter what. My little one has really hard to hold hair, and we ventured into the pageant world once where we had to pin in hair pieces. The right bobby pin is the secret for all cheer hair related problems, I swear. The ones from the drug store just won't cut it.

All of my high school customers complain about bows from "Not GK" and they get them because it is part of the package from varsity and it is cheaper. I have a lot of teams come to me for competition bows or breast cancer bows so they don't have to wear the "Not GK" Bow. You get what you pay for. Only fix is the bobby pins.

I'm basing this on your profile pic but, your pony appears to be lying flat against your head. When you put your hair half up/half down try putting your pony a little higher on your head and then use 2-3 nonslip bands on top of each other so they create a "post". Your hair may have a slight "fountain" effect but, when you put the bow on top of the nonslip bands (as close to the base as possible), the hair/bands should help support the bow in an upward position and the bow should correct any fountain effect. Hope that helps, if not, a fabric store employee may be able to suggest something to give it more support.

I always hairspray my bows to make them stiff and then I can usually bend/manipulate them to stay the way I want them to.

You need better bobby pins. Go to Sally's and buy "mini bob pins" They do not slip out of hair, not matter what. My little one has really hard to hold hair, and we ventured into the pageant world once where we had to pin in hair pieces. The right bobby pin is the secret for all cheer hair related problems, I swear. The ones from the drug store just won't cut it.
Thanks! I've never really thought about what kind of bobby pins I'm using... I'll try that!

All of my high school customers complain about bows from "Not GK" and they get them because it is part of the package from varsity and it is cheaper. I have a lot of teams come to me for competition bows or breast cancer bows so they don't have to wear the "Not GK" Bow. You get what you pay for. Only fix is the bobby pins.
Ugh I Wish we could get other bows. When I'm a senior I'm going to see if I can talk my coach in to getting bows from somewhere else! They're cuter and they don't suck like these ones. Unfortunately, I'm only a sophomore though, so... :/ in the past she has had parents make the bows but this year we ordered them... Idk which is worse!

I've noticed other people have their bows like that.Normally, I just hairspray mine if they aren't sitting right. My competitive teams old bows were from varsity and they looked weird. We switched to a local bow maker and shes a family friend, so i may be a little biased but i love my bows and so does my team! Her bows are great and we haven't had any problems with them.

Ugh I Wish we could get other bows. When I'm a senior I'm going to see if I can talk my coach in to getting bows from somewhere else! They're cuter and they don't suck like these ones. Unfortunately, I'm only a sophomore though, so... :/ in the past she has had parents make the bows but this year we ordered them... Idk which is worse!
Mini bobby pins work so Greg. In my profile pic they are varsity bows and after compete in three times and not fixing them they still,stand perfect with the small ones!

*i love varsity bows I think they look great! But then for another team I'm on we have bows that aren't even made out of ribbon and they're just annoying and all over the place

I will give you a good deal just so you don't have to wear those hideous bows.

Back