All-Star Varsity Brands For Sale?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 30, 2011
Did you see the post on CheerWatchDog.com regarding Varsity Brands Inc. (VBI) is for sale as advertised through RR Donnelley a well-respected private equity firm on March 28, 2011?

http://cheerwatchdog.org/2011/05/22/varsity-rumor-varsity-for-sale/

Private Equity Firms create a market for Companies/Corporations who are in the market to sell their business to new investors and in this case, the advertisement suggests the company will sell for approximately $360 million, or 8 times 2010 EBITDA of $45 million. In 2003, last time VB was sold, Leonard Green and Partners LP took the firm private (no longer trades on public markets) for $130 million.

What will be the potential impact without Leonard Green and his leadership team as THE driving force for growth of VBI and Cheer? Usually in Corporate sales the next Investor/Owner will desire to create higher current rates of return by replacing Senior Management with their own leadership or altering business focus in the near future if not immediately to squeeze more profit from the revenues. New Management at VBI could represent some shock waves or other unintended consequences in the Cheer industry! Who will remain, will Jeff Webb retire, what will the direction of VB become under new management and how many current Senior Managers could be replaced? Where is the business growth opportunity? So many questions for the future, and if you are a business closely attached to the VBI profit model how will any changes in their business impact you? If you did NOT know they were for sale, why not?

How many of you reading this would accept purchasing a company for $130 million in 2003 then selling it again in 2011 for $360 million representing a $230 million growth over 8 years? When you run some very simple math calculations on the company that represents a 176.9% total return, assuming the sale at $360, which annualizes to a 22.1% growth rate over 8 years. Although the change in ownership is apparently imminent, they are respectable returns to most investors. How many Individual or Institutional investors today would love to have experienced 22.1% per year for the past 8 years? As an example if you invested $130.00 in 2003 ... today it is worth $360.00 with gains of $230.00, so now you can do the math by placing say $130,000 in 2003 you would currently have a value of $360,000. With these impressive returns, why would Leonard Green and Partners LP consider selling VBI? Could be Leonard Green and Partners LP are monitoring the trends in VBI’s business model which currently represent a business which has reached maximum penetration of the US market with only limited success in International markets, or the opportunity to squeeze profits from the current business don’t represent the potential returns they desire. What do you think?

So many questions, so little time and so few answers!

The site is cheerwatchdog.org

Everyone should be aware that this is not a well-known organization.

Varsity has been sold multiple times and it has never had any significant impact on the final product that I have seen.

An investment company wants to sell off an investment. I am not sure you can read much more into it than that. Cheer is growing bigger and probably a lot more complicated. It would be really hard for someone to scoop up Varsity and dramatically change things for the worse (there are too many competitors out there ready to capitalize on that if they did).

I get so tired of dealing with the same things in multiple places.

You're math is completely wrong. The average return is app. 12.9% per year for 8 years.

And shouldn't the name of the site be varsitywatchdog.org?

I find it hysterical when you can't even get your own site correct.

Just an FYI, if the fierceboard raises $360 million I will buy Varsity.

BUT.. you better be prepared for a universal scoresheet I approve of, a well managed athlete registration system, standards everywhere across the board, the best way to help grow all gyms (small and large), and for fierce board to be more fierce.

BUT.. you better be prepared for a universal scoresheet I approve of, a well managed athlete registration system, standards everywhere across the board, the best way to help grow all gyms (small and large), and for fierce board to be more fierce.

The most important part...

I'll donate if I can be named VP of Credentialing (coach and athlete credentialing for levels) and VP of decency in uniforms.

The most important part...

bwahahaha. i would be a terrible ceo. im well aware i would be more concerned with cheer than i would be a bottom line.

bwahahaha. i would be a terrible ceo. im well aware i would be more concerned with cheer than i would be a bottom line.

That's why a good businessman (woman) need to be in charge of the business part. A good cheer person should be in charge of the cheer part.

That's why a good businessman (woman) need to be in charge of the business part. A good cheer person should be in charge of the cheer part.

a little give and take? the issue is from a 'money' standpoint the best thing for cheer is not the best thing for the bottom dollar. oh the web we weave.

a little give and take? the issue is from a 'money' standpoint the best thing for cheer is not the best thing for the bottom dollar. oh the web we weave.

Question...what if the best thing for cheer is bad for this year's bottom dollar, but return on investment in a year or two makes it worth it? What's more important, growth of the industry (potentially adding to the investment in the future) or this years bottom line?

Back