High School Varsity Tryout Tips?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 28, 2013
I have tryouts in two weeks from today, and I would really like to make varsity :-P. A standing back handspring is required and I have it, but I'm a little nervous to do it on the hard gym floor. I have done it on grass, and springfloor. I'm confident in my jumps, and insecure about my voice. Any tips?

If you're nervous about your tumbling practice it! Do it at the clinics, get a spot the first time or two and then do it by yourself until you're confident! For your voice make sure you're yelling from your diaphragm and you aren't squeaky, and don't drag words out. Make them sharp. Make sure your motions are tight and your wrists aren't broken, because even if you have all the skills it that could keep you from making it. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

I was scared to death to do a bhs on the hard bball court for the longest time but it felt just the same as doing on the grass. As long as your arms are tight you'll be fine. :)

I just had school tryouts last night and made varsity. The best advice I can give you is to be confident in everything you do. If you are embarrassed to be loud just remember it will help you make the team. Also make you're words sharp. For me it helped to sound like a guy almost haha. Just have tight motions to the point the coach can see you flex. If you have a dance just work it and smile, if there are words sing them a little bit. When they are writing your score down, stand clean to show you are attentive because that's how you would stand on the sidelines. Finally I know you said that you are confident in your jumps but just make sure to land lightly on your toes and not stomp down. Good luck!!

Back