All-Star Veteran Versus New Posters

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

CharlotteASMom

Cheer Parent
Mar 23, 2010
After catching up on some threads today I wanted to say to all the new posters out there....please keep posting!

All of us were "new" to the boards at some point as I was 7-8 years ago. The veteran's input isn't any more important that yours and you will be what keeps these boards going as many of us follow other paths. Do your due diligence in finding an answer (Search Bar, Reading the whole thread, etc.) but if you can't find an answer then don't be afraid to ask. There are several verterans still posting ACEDAD TheUltimateFan (to only name a few) that helped me through the newbie process and continue helping others today. Hang in there!

As a relative newbie...it can be quite intimidating on here! Sometimes I have a thought or opinion, and I'm just not comfortable jumping in. Getting better though. But I still do a fair amount of lurking instead of posting on a lot of topics.

I lurked for a good 9 months before really posting. And I'm sure even now when I do, people are like, who is this chick with the semi-dorito scorps as her picture

For all newbies... please stop filling my email and PM inbox with 'It's been 72 hours and I have posted 3 times and I have been on this board for years and I cannot post in Allstar yet". Literally the junk main in there makes me miss a lot of PMs.

As a relative newbie...it can be quite intimidating on here! Sometimes I have a thought or opinion, and I'm just not comfortable jumping in. Getting better though. But I still do a fair amount of lurking instead of posting on a lot of topics.

I lurked for a good 9 months before really posting. And I'm sure even now when I do, people are like, who is this chick with the semi-dorito scorps as her picture

The lurking is actually good! I made the mistake of jumping in early on and made lots of silly posts. Fortunately there are some safe guards here that eliminate some of that now. It felt like the wild west before.

Bottom line, being on any board for multiple years doesn't make mean the poster knows everything. There is a lot of new stuff we all can learn out there!

I'm going to apologize in advance if what I say makes no sense. I've had a DAY at work and my brain is a little frazzled.

Lots of times, I think it's the neophytes that are the ones that are quick to jump on the newbies. They've gotten some time under their belt, and have some board knowledge and are quick to point that out. We've all been new at some point, either on this board or previous incarnations. It can be VERY intimidating when you are new. When I joined Prox, I posted very little and mostly lurked. I felt I had nothing to say or add to the conversation. All the posters had inside jokes that I didn't understand. Little by little I would put in an opinion. I started to make friends. The first time I "got" an inside joke, I did a little happy dance to myself lol. kristenthegreat probably had the most difficult newbie experience of anyone I can think of. She was being talked about before she even joined. She took it in stride, laughed with us, and became a poster I look forward to reading. Just roll with the punches if and when they come, laugh about it and keep on going.

Most of us (there are always exceptions) don't try to be mean or hurtful. If I've ever made someone feel bad about themselves or was mean, I truly am sorry (unless I actually meant it ;)), and please pm me and let me know. A lot of us on here are friends outside of the board. We have jokes and stories among us, as any group of friends would. If you are around when things happen, you'll become part of the "inside". Because many of us are friends, we speak outside of the board. Sometimes that carries over onto the board.

If there is someone you don't like or disagree with, ignore their posts. If there are threads that you find dumb or a waste of space, skip them. If you have an opinion, post it...but be prepared for someone to reply to it. You are free to have your opinion, just as people are free to oppose it. That's the beauty of the board. If you want to make friends, reach out to people.

With that, I think my novel is done. Until I have more to say :)

I also have to say the "newbie experience" changed alot since I joined the boards. I'm no veteran- I've only been on here for about 2 years. When I first joined I was relatively new to all star cheer so I'm sure I posted some stupid questions. The thing is, I can never remember being attacked like some of the newbies on here are. If I were them I would feel insulted/intimidated and probably not come on the boards anymore. My point is, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all :)

Because I'm a newbie, and new enough to Cheer to wonder what's what more than know what I'm talking about, I'd like to just mention that I personally like seeing varying opinions too, so please don't stop debating things. It's interesting to see different points of view....That being said, please don't forget that there are so many different ages and backgrounds represented here, that it doesn't hurt to be careful how you say things, and to remember that there is a lot lost in "internet" communication that may make a meaning clear.

I see a lot of "arguing" going on that seems like it could be avoided if differences in age, in particular, were taken into account. You aren't going to convince a preteen they need to think thoughts they haven't been exposed to yet, can't convince every teen that there is a lot they haven't learned yet, or a "young adult" that things really do change rather unexpectedly once you've experienced what time brings, and probably won't convince any of us more *ahem* seasoned (I refuse to call myself old) people that we haven't seen and experienced what we have, or keep us from getting a bit set in our own ways.

However, we all can expose people to new ideas, learn from listening to other's experiences, and generally be enhanced by hearing what people have to say, even if it doesn't necessarily fit with what we, ourselves, think.

ETA; Sorry more preachy than I meant it to be, but the point is that we are who we are, and it seems more beneficial to not try to change people, but to stay informative, etc.

I think in terms of veteran status, I AM a newbie. I think I've been here less than a year but I've never been intimidated by anyone....that may just be me....I also have this nagging thing known as an opinion, so lurking never works out really well for me, sooner or later I can't help myself.

I would say as long as you put thought into your response and pay special attention to how they COULD come off (especially before people know you) you're fine. I've never had any negative experiences and I post a good bit (actually WAY too much...seeing my name as a top poster makes me think I should shut up)....it's like calling out the kid in class who has a response for everything...

...that kid always got on my nerves.....

Not sure what that says about me :D

There are so many people that I still consider "newbies" that consider themselves veterans lol.

Now that I think about it, I've been here I think 7 years now and there are probably some that consider me new, too (I'm lookin' at you ACEDAD ;) )

Reactions: DJ
Back