All-Star Warm Up Times

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

BuegeSmalls

Uni designer and state IDer-Most positive shimmies
May 21, 2011
So we are competing this weekend and the warm up time is only 3 minutes on each mat (one for tumbling one for stunts), it might be 3 and a half, not sure. But personally, I think this is not enough time. At UCA regionals we had 4 minutes on every mat (there were 3). And if I remember correctly, last year at UCA nationals we got 8 minutes for warm up, on full mats. What do you think the standard warm up time is? Also, what is the standard time between warming up and competition? This weekend we warm up at 10:20 and compete at 10:50. I think a half hour between is a long time. Thoughts?

3 minutes on each mat seems a bit short to me! In my opinion, 5 minutes per mat is a good standard. 5 minute tumble, 5 minute stunt, and a mark through on a full mat where you can have 5 minutes there. I don't like long warmups, but it's better to be warmed up than not! It just stinks when you warm up and then wait for 30 minutes to go on.(aka cheersport.....)

I've always had a beef with short warm up times. Like, yes let's rush dangerous tumbling and stunting maneuvers with stressed out coaches, kids, and inadequate staff trying to run warmups. I remember one competition we had 3 mats (2 strips of dead, tumbling strip, full spring floor) and we had TEN minutes on each mat. Talk about a good warm up.

I've always had a beef with short warm up times. Like, yes let's rush dangerous tumbling and stunting maneuvers with stressed out coaches, kids, and inadequate staff trying to run warmups. I remember one competition we had 3 mats (2 strips of dead, tumbling strip, full spring floor) and we had TEN minutes on each mat. Talk about a good warm up.

i could not agree with you more. ever tried to take a Mini team thru a short warm up with lots of other teams around?!

We don't use music during warm-ups. Even when we only have a short amount of time or are warming up several teams at a time I love the way that our coaches run it.

Mat #1 (AKA the dead mat)
Team/Group/Elite/Whateverelseyoumightcallit Stunt
Baskets

Mat #2 (AKA tumble strip)
All running tumbling, that level only (if crossing over and warming up at the same time, higher level tumbling)
Standing tumbling
*if there's extra time- jumps

Mat #3 (AKA full dead floor)
Pyramid
Any stunts/baskets that didn't hit

Then we wait to go on the floor! :)

i personally am mad this weekend at Jamz we had 3 mins on each mat and we got out of the final warm up which was the full floor and we had LITERALLY 30 secs of a break and then they competed. :mad:

Oh boy, I've been through some crappy warm ups. One regional competition was held at a high school (we were signing ourselves up for it, I know) and their warm ups were on a little thin strip the rolled out in the hall way. Lockers and classrooms on either side. Tumbling warm ups were in the cafeteria. Our baskets were too high to warm up, our coached pitched a fit to the event producers and they let us go out on the competition floor and walk through whatever we needed. A few other teams followed suit and asked to walk through on the main floor before competition.

Another time we warmed up outside in a tent....with metal bars everywhere supporting it.

I would say 7 minutes is the perfect time. My team was a little bit rushed with 5. I've always thought Cheersport had incredible warmups.

Can't forget those warm-ups too where you have to hike a mile to the competition floor and possibly up/down 4500000 flights of stairs after being tired already from warming up.....yep those are super fun.........

We don't use music during warm-ups. Even when we only have a short amount of time or are warming up several teams at a time I love the way that our coaches run it.

Mat #1 (AKA the dead mat)
Team/Group/Elite/Whateverelseyoumightcallit Stunt
Baskets

Mat #2 (AKA tumble strip)
All running tumbling, that level only (if crossing over and warming up at the same time, higher level tumbling)
Standing tumbling
*if there's extra time- jumps

Mat #3 (AKA full dead floor)
Pyramid
Any stunts/baskets that didn't hit

Then we wait to go on the floor! :)
for the most part exactly how my coaches run our warm ups too :)

for my high school regionals we have to hike up about 7 flights of stairs, then we get 3 mins on 5 mats and the ceiling is too low to stunt! not just baskets but stunting in general. then there is another room with 2 mats with a high ceiling thta you can stunt on. They do tumbling and baskets on the perfomance mats before hand. all the teams go on the mat at the same time and do baskets. picture 20 teams doing basket tosses on 7 mats :banghead: talk about chaos.

It is tough for large squads with all 36 members tumbling with level 5 skills to warm up in 3 minutes! Knowing your warm-up "routine" is crucial so people know where to go & quickly!

On the bright side, they only have 30 minutes im-between warm up && competing.. I just took my HS girls to a competition we warmed up at 10:10.. they didn't compete until 12:20

At our first competiton last weekend we had our warm up 1 hour before we had to take the floor, that actually sucks because the time you get to compete you're not warm at all anymore

Back