High School What Are The Requirements For Being On Varsity?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 6, 2012
I want to be a varsity flyer. Generally, what are the requirements for being on varsity?
Like tumbling etc. ? Do High School flyers get to do heel stretches, bows, scorpions? Or anything like that? I'm speaking general here, obviously every school is different.

For my high school you had to have at least a backhand spring or you wouldn't even be considered for varsity, tuck perfered.

Yes, high school flyers get to do heel stretches, now and arrows and scorpions.

It depends on your school's level but most HS teams are able to do extended one legs so they do pull body positions.
Tumbling is different. A lot of high schools require a backhandspring. But some teams are super strong with stunting or another area and not so strong tumbling wise and they don't require backhandsprings... but a backhandspring is always good for HS!
Motions are essential for HS, since you will be cheering at games and doing lots of chants, your motions need to be good and sharp! You can have a standing full but if you can't do proper motions...:mad: although you'd probably still make varsity.

We can give you some great generalities but I would highly recommend talking to your varsity coach as every schools requirement is different. I know some that require very little to no tumbling and others that if you show up to tryouts you make the squad.

Good luck.

We can give you some great generalities but I would highly recommend talking to your varsity coach as every schools requirement is different. I know some that require very little to no tumbling and others that if you show up to tryouts you make the squad.

Good luck.
Yeah, I found the coaches e-mail on the school website and I contacted her about it. She hasn't replied yet. I almost have a back walkover. After I master that I get to work on back handsprings.
:shimmy:

Back