High School What Do Judges Look For In A Cheer Section?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2010
My team always has a cheer section in our comp routine, we're trying to go by UCA this year. My team and coaches want to have 3 stunt groups in the back (we have enough people to make 5) and people cheering in the front with signs and poms. They wanted to have the stunt groups basket (I HATE baskets in cheers, no one would listen) and then do 360's to sponge or prep. I argued that the judges would rather see 5 two-man stunts with the flyers holding poms and signs, and then have the whole team do motions or something. What do you guys think, who was right? Most importantly, what do the judges want? Thanks!

Mmmk so I am by no means a judge, but I do watch UCA college nationals every year. The number one thing I hear the announcers say is that the cheer needs to be focused on cheer-leading. For example, dismounting stunts/throwing baskets in the middle of a cheer is frowned upon because it makes the cheer harder to follow. I would stick with some solid stunts maybe with one of two level changes/transitions (I.e., prep push extension) and some girls on the ground with signs

I argued that the judges would rather see 5 two-man stunts with the flyers holding poms and signs, and then have the whole team do motions or something. What do you guys think, who was right? Most importantly, what do the judges want? Thanks!

I'm a former UCA staffer and I judge for many companies, including Varsity/UCA....what you said (above) is what we are looking for. We want it to be "game ready" (nothing that is too difficult for the crowd to follow, nothing that bobbles even the slightest bit, clean and easy to follow).

Clean simple is better, for example, my JV is doing full squad shoulder sits w/ a spell out of our school name and then 3 groups w/ thigh stands, preps, extensions with signs with our letters and colrs.

My varsity single base (hopefully j up toss to hands) with a mascot spell out and other girls on the ground w/ the same signs. Into just preps and extensions w/ poms w/ the colors and shoulder sits/girls on the ground with the color signs, into just very simple hitches onto the shoulder sits for a level change.

Nothing crazy, just clean and simple!

Always hear that it has to be easy for the crowd to follow along and join it. needs to be SHARP and clean, especially for UCA. Focus on that crowd leading aspect. Difficulty is nice, but it its not clean, dont do it. Dont lose energy during the cheer, lots of people use the cheer as a 'rest spot" in the routine but you really need to energy to be up for it to be more effective at crowd leading and such.

The simpler, the better. Make it clean. If your two-mans are clean and executed, then go for that. I am not a fan of alot of stuff going on during cheers. My HS team (in VA) does cheer motions then crowd-leading including stunts (chair sits, one basket in the back, people using megaphones and poms, etc.). I did add 2 express up to bow on the sides of my basket though because they are so clean and visual.

Clean, simple & crowd leading. We got great scores on our cheer this past year. We had sings in the front that spelled out Indians and then went to 3 one mans that eventually went to extensions in part of the cheer and 3 girls in front of them with poms. Personally I hate jumps and baskets in cheers.

All rules are meant to be broken... but I've got a list of choreo "rules" when it comes to uca cheers.

If you spell it say it.
If you want crowd to yell it, show them a sign with that.
Don't have individual letter signs if you aren't going to spell it.
Say whatever you are saying at least 3 times.
Multi colored poms are a big No.
2 footed stunts, hitches, libs ONLY.
Don't do a stunt unless she has a prop in her hands that she is using to lead the crowd.
Don't have more than 3 different formations.
Use 2 different props at some point. (signs and poms...)
SPREAD OUT.
HOLD STILL.
Don't wiggle your signs.
Don't change the beat.
S.S.S. single, synchronized, skills for jumps and tumbling.

That's all I have so far. Hope that little cheat sheet helps.

All rules are meant to be broken... but I've got a list of choreo "rules" when it comes to uca cheers.

If you spell it say it.
Don't do a stunt unless she has a prop in her hands that she is using to lead the crowd.
SPREAD OUT.
HOLD STILL.
Don't wiggle your signs.
Don't change the beat.

Also adding to this list.
1. Don't push your sign out in front of you! It goes up or to the side. They've really been stressing that this year more than I can ever remember! Logic is from far away you cannot see the difference between the sign being held in front of you and pushed directly out in front at the same level.
2. Keep the signs flat, don't "flick" them at the ceiling.
3. Not too much clapping. (Judges had issues with our ending last year at nationals)
4. Don't throw skills that you can't yell in (aka team handsprings or tucks)

With the exception of nationals last season (got a 33) we scored perfect scores every competition on our cheer. These rules are GREAT to go off of if you're new to UCA cheers! Judges most importantly want to see solid, clean and crowd effective. The more props (signs, poms, megaphones) the better. Don't risk anything that will not hit 100% of the time! So if your full up lib with a sign hits 100% of the time and you can make it crowd effective then thats great, but if not stick with solid extensions and you will score just as well!

One thing I was always taught when judging UCA high school was if it isn't logical then it's not right.

If you hold up a sign of a cat, don't say Kentucky.
Also don't cram too many words into something.
If it doesn't sound natural or flow well, you wont score well.
Don't spell ridiculously long words.
Don't skip around too much (word wise) make sure you repeat so the crowd can pick it up.
don't forget the crows is on your side too. Cheerleaders should use the whole floor and be sure to include the crowd on the side.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

If you spell it say it.
SPREAD OUT.
HOLD STILL.
Don't wiggle your signs.
Don't change the beat.

These tips are fantastic, thank you!

Also adding to this list.
1. Don't push your sign out in front of you! It goes up or to the side. They've really been stressing that this year more than I can ever remember! Logic is from far away you cannot see the difference between the sign being held in front of you and pushed directly out in front at the same level.
2. Keep the signs flat, don't "flick" them at the ceiling.
3. Not too much clapping. (Judges had issues with our ending last year at nationals)
4. Don't throw skills that you can't yell in (aka team handsprings or tucks)

With the exception of nationals last season (got a 33) we scored perfect scores every competition on our cheer. These rules are GREAT to go off of if you're new to UCA cheers! Judges most importantly want to see solid, clean and crowd effective. The more props (signs, poms, megaphones) the better. Don't risk anything that will not hit 100% of the time! So if your full up lib with a sign hits 100% of the time and you can make it crowd effective then thats great, but if not stick with solid extensions and you will score just as well!
What team do you coach? I want to look up your cheer!

Back