Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

NJ Coach

10's Across the Board....literally.
Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Mar 23, 2010
This time of year, it's common to for everyone to be a little burnt out from cheer. The season has been long, and is finally coming to an end. Tryouts are around the corner, and I know there are cheerleaders contemplating whether to return. I was wondering what do you do it for? What is the moment that makes you keep coming back for more?

For me, it's that moment right after my team hits. That look of pure joy and excitement, knowing they've just killed it. Seeing that kid or that stunt that struggled all week have the confidence that they'll be ok. The one who got mental or just got a new pass being brave enough to do what they aren't quite sure they can do. Coming off the floor, knowing they couldn't have done any more or any better. The look on their faces, when they look for my approval, for me to tell them that yes, they were that good. That feeling, the take your breath away and steal your heart feeling, is exactly why I do this.

It has to be the aniticipation and the exhilaration you get right before competing, or when you walk onto the floor and all you see is the lights and all the blackness haha, and then just hearing people scream and cheer you on. Or when you hit all your stunts, and you know it because it seems like the whole convention center is cheering, or hearing everyone say HIT.HIT.HIT.PULL.

I do it for the love of my teammates, and the bonds we have created, and just for the love of the sport!!!

Also like the feeling you get after landing a new tumbling pass, nothing can top that.
Or when you hit your routine, and everyone just comes up and hugs you...
Or at awards, the feeling you get when it's your division, and you are either in 1st or 2nd, and your'e not 2nd, and you just go crazyyyy!!!
I also do it for WORLDSSS<3
Ahhh! I got chills writing this post!

This time of year, it's common to for everyone to be a little burnt out from cheer. The season has been long, and is finally coming to an end. Tryouts are around the corner, and I know there are cheerleaders contemplating whether to return. I was wondering what do you do it for? What is the moment that makes you keep coming back for more?

For me, it's that moment right after my team hits. That look of pure joy and excitement, knowing they've just killed it. Seeing that kid or that stunt that struggled all week have the confidence that they'll be ok. The one who got mental or just got a new pass being brave enough to do what they aren't quite sure they can do. Coming off the floor, knowing they couldn't have done any more or any better. The look on their faces, when they look for my approval, for me to tell them that yes, they were that good. That feeling, the take your breath away and steal your heart feeling, is exactly why I do this.

I am a cheer mom and there are a million reasons I do what I do for my cps. BUT I have to say that there was one moment this season that just made it all worth it, oh, so worth it. My youngest cp is 12, she and her sister both were on the same j3 team this year. Sometime about mid season she froze mid air in her tuck like twice and fell (always at practice), of course giving me a mini heart attack each time, but I kept my game face on, lol. Then she got all mental and wouldn't throw it. There were alot of coach changes at her gym, so she didn't have that one coach that she super trusted and felt comfortable with. This went on for about 6 weeks.
I took her to open gym at a different gym, figured maybe a change of scenery might help and maybe she would find "that" coach. Well, it did, she fell in love with one of the coaches and after about 3 hours total with him she was throwing her tuck again more beautiful than ever. She got her pass back. The first time she competed it, we were sitting in the "VIP viewing area" she stuck it beautifully, looked directly at me and we made eye contact, she was just glowing with pride and struck her pose. I had three or four different moms come up to me after and say "Did you see her look right at you after she stuck that??, That was so cute" This let me know I wasn't imagining it and/or it wasn't a coincidence. The fact that she was SOOO proud of herself and we were able to share that moment, her on the floor, me watching, made it worth all the time, all the $$ and all of the hour - hour and a half trips to the gyms. There is nothing better than seeing your child so proud of herself and looking for YOU to share it with.

My cp is 8 and the reason she cheers is simple... she loves to be in the spotlight. She's been like that since she was born and while her friends get nervous before going onto the floor she is roaring to go. We actually tried sideline cheer before all star and she hated it, she couldn't figure out for the life of her why everyone was watching the game and not her, she was 5 then LOL. The friendships are an important factor also, she spends a lot more time with her cheer friends than her school friends because I know their parents on a personal level.

My cp is 8 and the reason she cheers is simple... she loves to be in the spotlight. She's been like that since she was born and while her friends get nervous before going onto the floor she is roaring to go. We actually tried sideline cheer before all star and she hated it, she couldn't figure out for the life of her why everyone was watching the game and not her, she was 5 then LOL. The friendships are an important factor also, she spends a lot more time with her cheer friends than her school friends because I know their parents on a personal level.

I have to say I do it for the other kids too. The kids that I watch practice their double over and over and over and decide not to back out at the last moment in their pass, the kids that fell last comp and cried about it for days, the kids whose mom couldn't be at comp because she was going through chemo, the kids who raise their own money to be able to cheer, and the kids who have done this for years and this is their last Worlds. I smile, I yell and I cry proud tears for THEM!

I do it because its the one thing that can make me happy no matter what. I can be having a bad day, then once i step into the gym it completely all goes away. I have played several sports and I have never felt connected to a team like I am when I cheer. Theres so much love on all star cheer teams...so much faith. Theres no better feeling then when one of your team mates look at you and say, "I believe in you...you can do it." <3

Also I love seeing teams run and hug eachother after they just hit the best routine ever. To see their coaches cry and their parents cry...is so amazing. I LOVE the passion & emotion in this sport, I am so proud to be a cheerleader.

Aw this whole thread made me cry; every moment y'all brought up I could picture it in my head! Such an uplifting feeling it gives you!

My daughters tiny1 team struggled with the pyramid all season, they had gotten second but never 1st. The very last competition they hit their pyramid perfect for the 1st time and they performed well. The only problem was no tiny teams had any failed stunts that day or tumbling busts. Just their routine which was all done well. Going into awards my daughter was saying I just want to win 1st all our other teams have got several 1st but not us. I told her winning isn't everything and she has next season.

Well when they announced placements and I heard another team in 2nd I instantly started crying; I believe I wrote on my fb it was the best day ever. Lol

My daughter was sooo happy!
Everything that year; competitions, practice, and privates was suddmely worth it all.

That trophy in my default is her own personal trophy- just like the team trophy but she got her own trophy and it has her name on it now. My daughter will always have that and know all the drive and determination to accomplish certain skills as an individual and a team earned them 1st. That's something she will never forget. Although I hope she always wants to cheer I won't force her I'll support her no matter what but these life skills are just the foundation for the rest of her life.

I do it for the glory....... ;)

Just Kidding! I do it for the love of performing and knowing that no matter what happens, the team has your back and the team is the overall champion. I don't think I would love cheerleading as much if it wasn't for the amazing friends I have because of it. :) (Not to mention, amazing coaches!) ;)

I do it for my cp! She loves the sport soooooo much and she is driven to suceed. I watch her struggle to get new passes sometimes for months and when she hits it for the first time there is no other feeling like that for me! I loved her being on the mini 2 team this season and being looked up to by some of the younger kids like she looks up to some of our Super Seniors! I remeber being soooo excited when she did her first back walkover and the excitement does not change now that she is landing much harder things. She fell out of a stunt for the first time at a comp and was so devestated but she went out day 2 and did it! I think that was my most proud moment ever!

Well I coach tumbing for the moment that happened today! I was coaching a private lesson with a girl that didn't have a backhandspring a month ago. Today she did a front walkover to backhandspring. It was solid. Not only was I so proud of her, but seeing her surprise that she could actually do the skill was the best. Then I went home and checked facebook. She posted on my wall thanking me for how much I helped her. I can't wait to see what else she accomplishes!!

I return for myself. I love to perform. I love that feeling when you are confident and you know everyone is watching you. It's the best feeling in the world to know that you have a whole team that believes in you. I do it for my teammates. I love them all. But most of all, I do all of this because it's what I love and what I will always love. There is nothing out there that has the athleticism, teamwork, or that can teach me a lesson about life like cheerleading. For every 1 thing that's lost (time, money, ect.) I gain about 100 things. <3 That's why I come back.

For that 2 minutes and 30 seconds on the floor. For that feeling you get as when you're waiting to go and how as soon as that music starts how all of those feelings and thoughts just go away. Running to your teammates at the end screaming WE DID IT WE DID IT!

Back