High School What Motivates Your Team?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 18, 2015
so last week we had a regional... And the days right before all my kids were (what I like to call) "Cliff diving"... They were a hott mess... Completely overthinking everything... Mind you, this is only the 2nd year this program/school has even ever competed and they literally have gone from half press to fulls... to full up Libertys ...so the program has taken a drastic change in direction both of expectations and comittement level. While they are loving learning to unlock new talents and exploring the world of a true competitive atmosphere ... I had to take a minute and remind myself that this was new to a lot of them. Last year they competed and did fairly well...this year they want it so bad they are freaking each other out. So the Friday before regionals when they had a rival rally ... Nothing was hitting.. They were a bundle of nerves... And I had to give them the "it's all in your head" talk and "only you can stand in the way of your own success" talk. I literally made them repeat every positive affirmation I stated. "Do you want this? Say yes?! Have you worked for it? Tell me yes?!" Sure enough.. Rally went well and competition went fabulous. But I was curious .. What really gets your team going?! We are headed to Sac for another regional this weekend... Kids seem pretty calm... But I know every team is different. What do you say or do to motivate when everyone seems to be self sabotaging...? Or in general to get them into the golden mind set?

Do you have a video of what they once looked like? What they look like now?

I would grab a classroom at school that has access to a smartboard/large screen projector and playback those videos. Allow them to visualize how much they've actually changed and learned. Let them know that they aren't only doing it for themselves/their team, but also their school and community.

Back